Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: No water!!

1. Back To Top    #1

No water!!

Hi all. First time opening my pool as it was installed last spring.
    Everything connected easy, had it running, then I drained some water through the "waste" feature of the filter, but when I turned it back to filter, I couldn't get water to come from the pool into the pump/filter. Nothing. Had the same problem initially too, but it eventually worked. Thought maybe the pump needs to be primed, but i believe it's self priming.
    Can't move forward til I get this going.
    Appreciate any insight or suggestions.
    Thank you!!
    John
    15K gallons, IG free form, concrete construction, vinyl liner, Jandy DE filter, SWG, Heat Pump, water restrictions. Located in northeast

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: No water!!

John, silly question but I have to ask .... are you shutting-off the motor before turning the multiport valve? Also, is you water level still high enough after all of that filtering to waste? Just to make sure your skimmer(s) (if you have no main drain) are getting enough water.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you for the quick response!
    Yes I shut down the filter before turning the valve and the water is still to almost to top of skimmer, so it's plenty high.

4. Back To Top    #4

Any chance you might have sucked-up an obstruction? Curious, do you use skimmers and a main drain? Trying to see what options you may have to isolate water flow issues.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes both skimmers & MD. Tried open ring both, shutting 1, etc. Nothing worked. Stumped. Don't think there's an obstruction

6. Back To Top    #6

Start with the easiest: pump strainer basket lid O-ring. The tiniest gap will allow air in and prevent the pump from priming.

Then perhaps move the multiport to waste or recirculate and see if it will prime there. Could be your filter is really clogged and it can't push any water through so it can;t prime.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!