2 speed pool pump problems

My 2 speed above ground pool pump will only run consistently in the slow speed. If placed on the high setting, it will run for about 25-30 minutes and then stop. The high speed cannot be used again until the pump has been turned off for a while, then the same circumstance repeats. It will always run in slow speed, even when the high speed side of the switch is inactive. The motor runs quietly. It never seems to be more than just warm to touch at any time. I can't hear any evidence of bearing noises. It is not tripping the breaker or the GFI. It's about 2 years old, never had any problems until this just started happening yesterday. Any thoughts?

Check voltage going to the motor. Check to make sure that the shaft turns freely. If both of those are ok, try a new capacitor.

Is the switch on the pump or outside the pump?

Toggle Switch is on the motor itself. left slow/middle off/right high. shaft turns freely/voltage is 115 v on my multimeter. Is the capacitor a standard item or is it specific to the make and model of the motor? Is there a way to test it or should I just replace it? I thought the capacitor was just to give it "a jolt" to start, not essential to the motor running once it's spinning. Your input is appreciated, I am guessing the capacitor is housed in that enclosure on the top of the motor. I was an electrician years ago in the Navy and remember just enough to be dangerous!

You're getting 115 volts line to line?

Does the motor label say 115 volts?

If you can, measure amps to motor and compare to motor nameplate.

If line-to-line voltage matches label, try a new capacitor.

Take capacitor to a motor shop for exact match.

I suspect that you have a "run" capacitor vs a "Start" capacitor.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.