Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Member

1. Back To Top    #1

I'm a first time member and new pool owner. Looking forward to using the forum to answer all my questions and learning from experienced pool owner.
    Thanks,
    Attached Images Attached Images
    12,000Gal Gunite Free Form, 1,500Gal Spa, Pentair 2hp Whisperflo, EZ Touch 4, Screenlogics, Pentair Color 5G LED, Pentair Legend Cleaner and Booster Pump, In-Line Chlorinator, 2hp Silencer Blower, Mastertemp 400K BTU Heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Member

tj,

Welcome to TFP... A Great resource for all Houston area new pool owners...

Nice looking pool.. Good job getting your signature done before your first post!!!

But... be prepared to be 'educated" about your choice of an in-line chlorinator..

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome!

You're way ahead of the curve, joining not only before you have a problem but before you even have water!

If you want to ensure you never have a problem, invest in a proper test kit now, so you'll be ready when the builder says it's all yours now. There's a writeup in pool school or just skip it and head over to tftestkits.net for a TF100.

We want to see pictures when it's full, preferably populated by a bunch of swimsuit models.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks guys, I'll get one of those kits. What's wrong with the In-Line Chlorinator?
    12,000Gal Gunite Free Form, 1,500Gal Spa, Pentair 2hp Whisperflo, EZ Touch 4, Screenlogics, Pentair Color 5G LED, Pentair Legend Cleaner and Booster Pump, In-Line Chlorinator, 2hp Silencer Blower, Mastertemp 400K BTU Heater

5. Back To Top    #5

Constant CYA additions with every puck you use. It can easily become unmanageable.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

They add stuff to the water that you end up having to drain to remove. Can be CYA or calcium. Either way it's not a good thing.
    Bob - INTEX 12x24 owner (not setup yet), 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

7. Back To Top    #7

The pool builder said it was awesome and would help with keeping the pool more maintenance free. I have a friend that is a chemical engineer and questioned the heck out of her about her pool set up and she had one so I figured it would be ok.

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

Is it possible that they were talking about a SWCG and just using an odd name for it?
    Bob - INTEX 12x24 owner (not setup yet), 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

9. Back To Top    #9

tj,

If you monitor your own pool water and understand the relationship between FC (chlorine) and the CYA (Stabilizer) then using an in-line chlorinator is ok.. The only downside is that CYA does not go away, so when the CYA gets too high, you will have to drain, at least some of your pool water, and refill.

We are assuming that the type of in-line chlorinator we are talking about is to 3" chlorinated tabs or "pucks"... If what your pool builder is calling an in-line chlorinator is actually a Saltwater Chlorine Generator, then that is a whole different animal... and a great thing to have...

One of the reasons that most people come to this site is because they let the CYA build up in their pools over time. When this happens you almost can't put enough chlorine in the pool to keep it from turning green.

When using pucks for chlorinating your pool, you normally have to add packets of "shock" to your pool once a week.
    When using pucks for chlorinating your pool, your pool with often smell like Chlorine, the same smell as a public pool.
    When using pucks for chlorinating your pool, you have to spend half your life in the dreaded Pool $tore... Buying things you don't need.

Thanks,

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

10. Back To Top    #10

It's the Pentair Rainbow 320. Thanks for the info, I'm glad I joined it looks like I have much to learn.

11. Back To Top    #11

Hey TJ,

Nearly Everyone came here to learn this stuff, so no worries. In-line chlorinators are great, just not as a now and forever sole source of adding Chlorine for the reason others have metioned. Later this summer you'll see a slew of people joining and discovering they have over stabilized their pools, often for this exact reason. Glad you found us, and hope you enjoy your time on TFP.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem