Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Bring PH down first or bring TA up first?

1. Back To Top    #1

Bring PH down first or bring TA up first?

Hi All,
    My PH is crazy high right now, at an 8.0, but my TA is on the lower end sitting at a 70. Simple question, which one do I adjust first? Everything else is in balance and water is crystal clear.

FC 8
    CYA 70

Thanks for the great site.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Bring PH down first or bring TA up first?

You still have some wiggle room with the TA, so I'd bring the pH down first. Your pool info isn't listed in your sig which might help us, but if you have any sources of aeration such as bubblers, spillway, waterfall, SWG, remember those also contribute to pH increase.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Texas. Actually, I do have a lot of aeration going on. Is it safe to assume that I should stock up on muriatic acid?!
    16x34 18,000gal pebble. Sand filter. SWG. 1 Waterfall, 1 bubbler and 1 Spillway from spa.

4. Back To Top    #4

Just like chlorine, muriatic acid is a regular meal on any pool's diet - just not as much. Ideally we try to adjust pH and TA together in hopes to reduce how fast pH rises. New pools really struggle because of plaster curing. But yes, all those other features will drive it up over time, so having a gallon on-hand to keep pH from going over 7.8 (preventing scale) is always good. Remember, some pools like a pH that settles in the mid-7s, while others seem to remain steady on the high end of 7.7-7.8. In time you should find that "happy place" for your pool as well so that pH and TA don't seem to bounce up & down so often. Have a nice weekend.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!