Plenty of topics on it if you search for pHin, the most comprehensive one regarding this and Sutro here: pool monitor

Bottom line, they are claiming to be a small startup developing technology that doesn't currently exist. That instantly pegs my [cow excrement] meter to the max. Their chemical delivery system is no different than walking in to the pool store and following every one of their recommendations so it obviously won't be compatible with TFPC, nor the best for your pool or swimming experience. Of course, that is assuming this thing ever reaches market.

Hi,

I purchased a Phin on 5/29/17 and will share my experience.

The price was $ 299 at an ACE hardware store.

The set up manual is a joke. I finally got it configured with the phone app, but have about dozen question questions...contacted Phin Tech Support via email (twice), and phone....no response......taking it back to ACE.

This company definitely does not have their act together.

Charlie T

Hi. I have a pHin and use it now in our outdoor in-ground pool. I don't read or post here much but I'm happy to try to answer any questions. I ordered the unit back in 2015 and it felt like forever for it to actually ship; its worth noting that back then also the Sutro founder was also really nice but I had already given my payment info to the pHin people.

The thing ships with a bunch of chemical powders in bags labeled to be less difficult for people to self-manage their pool chemistry, but at the trade-off of significant use of stabilizers e.g. CYA. In our case, as I travel away sometimes for a week or more, I not only didn't have much time to manage the pool directly, but also wanted some idea of what the pool pH, chlorine and temperature were doing on a relative basis even if not 100% accurate, so I could warn the family not to go in the pool if there were a significant aberration.

The chemical bags are about the size of a CD case and there are also some individually-foil-sealed test strips along with a color calibration card that are sent, presumably for the developers to recalibrate the system overall.

I can guess that not many enthusiasts on this discussion board will like pHin's model of powdered chemical subscriptions. On the other hand, I can guess that there's probably a market for people like me who don't want to think much about the chemical balance, and comfortable enough with potential inaccuracies of using test strips, to want to try a more automated solution that requires less knowledge about the chemistry.

The outstanding question I have is, if pHin is trying to not let perfect be the enemy of the good, is it good enough. My initial thinking is yes. Although I'd love to follow the TFP methods, the testing routine and need to procure and add chlorine are still surprisingly time consuming relative to pHin's continuous monitoring & pouch-based approach.

I don't know what you consider "good enough", but it is your pool and your call on how to manage it.

I guarantee though that if more than a few people buy these things (and manage to get them working) we will be seeing the phrase, "my pHin readings are perfect but my water is green!" It's just another pool store: bad testing and bad advice, "dump this in and don't ask questions" mentality. The same mentality that finds 10-20 new posts here every day during the summer with people looking for help with their green pool. Except now in an APP!

And trust me, I would LOVE to be able to put something in someone's pool and monitor their levels remotely. But these things only monitor pH, sanitizer (no doubt with an ORP sensor that is not accurate in the presence of CYA) and temperature. Where is my CC level? What about Total Alkalinity? Where is CYA? If you are dumping stabilized chlorine in to the pool that seems rather important, don't you think? So what we are left with is a floating wifi temperature and pH sensor. Surprisingly unhelpful. At that point you might as well just get the Clorox test strip/app combo from Walmart. Still the same lack of reliability, but it will still give you the same "add this and don't ask questions" results at a fraction of the cost. Cheaper testing, cheaper chemicals, same "maybe good enough?" results.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.