Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chlorinator

1. Back To Top    #1

Chlorinator

I am debating about purchasing an automatic chlorinator. Eventually I want to go with a SWG but I have large bucket of pucks and don't have the funds yet.

What is the better between in-line and off-line?

I am looking at a Pentair Rainbow 300 and Rainbow 320.

Thanks
    18600 Gallon In Ground
    Vinyl liner
    Aqua Genie Skimmer/Return
    Purex Triton Challenger wet end with Emerson 2EZ Speed Two-Speed with Timer Motor 3/4HP #EB2980T
    Sta-Rite 145361 Cristal-Flo II High-Rate Sand Filter 22Inch
    Taylor K-2006

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Chlorinator

Hello stew! Well, you know you're asking a loaded question here at TFP right? For us manually chlorinated pools, we generally pour a little bleach in the water each day to maintain our FC level. We'll use tabs "on occasion" when we're away on a trip or when we know for sure our CYA level is low enough to handle it. Personally, I would say if you don't have an in-line installed in your plumbing now, leave it alone and just drop a floater with tabs in the water when you absolutely need to. Later, you'll cut into plumbing for the SWG and that will be good enough. In the meantime, continue using regular bleach so that you know your CYA is always under control. Save those pucks for a rainy day.

Hope that helps answer your question.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

That's money that you can put towards an SWG when you get one, and those pucks aren't going to go bad if left sealed in a container, so I say don't get either of them.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath

4. Back To Top    #4

I will pickup a floater and start using that instead of putting them in the skimmer. I usually close the cover when I am not using the pool so hopefully I can keep the floater from being pushed to the edge.
    18600 Gallon In Ground
    Vinyl liner
    Aqua Genie Skimmer/Return
    Purex Triton Challenger wet end with Emerson 2EZ Speed Two-Speed with Timer Motor 3/4HP #EB2980T
    Sta-Rite 145361 Cristal-Flo II High-Rate Sand Filter 22Inch
    Taylor K-2006