Lap Pool Renovation with Aquabright

Re: Lap Pool Renovation with Aquabright

BuckeyeChris, this might be a dumb question, but how do we know if we have algae? Can you swim during SLAM?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pool School - Black Algae

- - - Updated - - -

Usually you would check your fc loss overnight. Search for oclt. But I don't know if black algae is resistant to chlorine without scrubbing, your fc might not get used up fighting it and so you would follow up with the test on that link. You can swim up to slam levels. Black algae I think requires a slightly higher level.

Thanks BuckeyeChris! Luckily the stains are pale brown and not black anywhere. Yea!!

I am not sure how the black algae discussion came up. There are no signs of it in pics and I don't think OP reported it.

Here's what seems significant......the trichlor puck lightened your stains, indicating at least some of the staining is organic. I would elevate my FC level to about twice normal levels for two weeks and, brushing often on the stains, see what affect it has.

With a CYA of 65 that means an FC level of about 8-10 ppm. There is no magic, exact number but constantly keeping your FC in that range let's you swim and enjoy the pool yet gives enough elevated chlorine to tackle the staining.

Take a "before" pic so you can tell if it was worth it. Post the "after" pic back and we'll all help on the stains that are left. It's a cheap experiment and you might get surprisingly good results.

I covet your solar breeze! I have been looking everywhere for one. Apparently, the company is underfunded and can't do a production run:(

I wish you luck in getting everything in order. Your pool is adorable.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Chrissykr and Rgswff - we absolutely love our Solar Breeze. I remember seeing a few on eBay last year. I truly believe in this company so much that I may to join their kickstarter campaign. Albeit at a low level, as we have some large things to purchase soon (like a re-plaster and glass tile). We were told recently by the manager of the best local pool supply company here that a major company has purchased Solar Breeze and we would be hearing about that soon. Either way, I have to believe they will make a comeback. The product is just too good. [emoji4]

Thank you SO MUCH for your advice duraleigh and patrick_b! This makes sense to us, especially to my pool boy (husband) who is working so hard to get this pool in shape. Really appreciate your advice and expertise.
[emoji4]

Duraleigh - I also want to especially thank you for taking the time to respond and FOR CREATING TFP!! You have obviously helped so many people enjoy their lives. Seriously. To us, having a pool (a clean one) is the ultimate luxury and joy. Therapy for the soul! I applaud you and all of your hard work. I don't know how you do it.

PS - I grew up just south of Raleigh in a little town called Angier. I love Raleigh and moved to Atlanta from Durham several years ago. I miss the Triangle! But see you moved to Florida to keep all those pool owners in line. Hope you're enjoying it! Many thanks again.

So ... as a complete Newbie, would someone tell me exactly what to purchase along with extra of whatever I might need? Thanks

Bleach, prob 4-6 gallons (121 oz really) to start. No scented, easy pour, or special bleach... Just basic 8.25%. Then follow poolmath calculator by updating the numbers and put in your current FC and a target of 10 (based on suggestion above).

Have you checked the FC and CC today? Post the numbers so we have more than one data point. Don't bother with any other tests.

Hi Accident - haven't tested yet but will report back for sure. Hubs headed to Walmart to stock up on bleach. (How long can we store? Did I see a post about a storage tank for bleach? I've read so much on here that it's all jumbled together).

Another crazy question - we have three floor mounted drains/returns?I think they are drains? Returns? Above one at the far end of the pool is a round open-looking pipe thing. Looks like the opening to a pipe. Is this an outlet/inlet/place where a cleaner was to be attached? Looks like it's approx 2"DIA. On an original plan of the house, the pool is shown with the word @fountain" at this same spot. Dare I hope a fountain could be attached here? (Don't laugh, I'm a designer, so this is a huge learning process) My guess is that a "fountain" might have been easier to get approved through the city for construction.

Duraleigh - I also want to especially thank you for taking the time to respond and FOR CREATING TFP!! You have obviously helped so many people enjoy their lives. Seriously. To us, having a pool (a clean one) is the ultimate luxury and joy. Therapy for the soul! I applaud you and all of your hard work. I don't know how you do it.

PS - I grew up just south of Raleigh in a little town called Angier. I love Raleigh and moved to Atlanta from Durham several years ago. I miss the Triangle! But see you moved to Florida to keep all those pool owners in line. Hope you're enjoying it! Many thanks again.
Thank you for those nice words. The real "creators" of TFP are the pool owners who are on here every day and give of their time helping others. We all start in the same place knowing nothing about pools and, as we learn, we share with others. This community thrives because of it's members.....not me.

I know Angier very well and know some folks from Angier....Durham, too!

We're just getting settled in Florida and can't wait to brag about the winter weather to our friends up in NC.

Well, you started TFP and when I clicked on your name to follow, you had a bazillion posts and replies, so you're definitely instrumental in all of this!!

Who in the world do you know in Angier? My parents have now lived there for over 45 years.

Hi Accident - haven't tested yet but will report back for sure. Hubs headed to Walmart to stock up on bleach. (How long can we store? Did I see a post about a storage tank for bleach? I've read so much on here that it's all jumbled together).

Depends on how old the bleach is already. Date stamps are on the bottles just like food. Generally look for '15 179' or something to see it is from the 179th day of 2015. When buying look through them as last night I saw 145 and 197 on the same shelf. Let someone else have the 52 day older stuff. There are other formats but generally you just want a 15 and a 3 digit day code somewhat recent.

As for storage, I don't think you need more than 5-6 gallons as they do 'expire' by dropping CL %. Base it on what you need for a few weeks, like I have 6 on hand today. If I were slamming with a high cya I would need a ton. Slamming with a lower cya needs less. Day to day needs little, some people use like 8 oz a day because they drop little FC daily.

Thanks Accident! Great to know about the bleach dates.

Water test this evening:
FC 8ppm
CC 0

Two gallons of bleach were just added. Any other recommendations? My pool boy just walked out in a huff when I exclaimed zero??

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.