Any point in running low speed if no filter PSI?

May 29, 2016
Madison, WI
I just got a Hayward SP2303VSP to replace a 3/4HP single speed 3400RPM pump. I'm still playing around with figuring out what speeds and times to use. I don't like the idea of letting my pool water sit with no movement so I thought I'd set 1000RPM from 7pm to 7am but I've noticed that the filter gauge isn't even reading anything and I can't feel any water coming out of the returns in the pool. Am I just wasting electricity? Is there any conventional wisdom on how to determine a minimum RPM threshold?

Nope, you're fine. I've been running mine at 1100 rpm and 0 filter pressure for 5 years and my pool looks great! Your filter will be more efficient at low/no pressure. My pump runs 24x7 for skimming lots of trees debris when they are dropping stuff. I run 8a to 10p when trying to heat the pool and 10p to 8a when trying to cool the pool during summer.

I don't know if your pump shows watts used but mine uses 150 at 1100 rpm. At 10.25c/kWh it costs less than 12 bucks a month to run 24x7.

pr,

Like pooldv, I also run at a low RPM. I have to run at 1,200 RPM so that my SWCG works. At that speed I get 2 or 3 lbs of pressure.

Do you really mean that you can't feel "any" return flow, or do you actually mean you have low flow?

I can easily feel the flow out of my returns and if I point an eyeball up it will make small ripples on the surface.

If you truly have no flow, then I would think that would be an issue.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.