Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: installing foam cove and base, Do i need a base ?

1. Back To Top    #1

installing foam cove and base, Do i need a base ?

I'm in the process of installing a 27' round above ground .
    When using a foam cove , do i install the cove all the way at the bottom of the pool, on the bottom rail at ground level and then add the 2-3" of sand base ? Which will then cover most of the cove with sand , or do I install the 2-3" of base sand and level and then install the cove on top of the sand base ? if using a foam cove , Do i still need a 2-3" sand base ?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Question about installin cove and sand base

Do you have instructions that specifically spell that out, or do you think you might be looking at either a sand cove OR a foam cove?
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

im for sure installing the foam cove , i already have it , (foam cove , foam wall roll , liner pad ) but the pools instructions say *nothing* about how to install it in relation to the base . and instructions has no mention of a base at all . i guess they assume its common knowledge maybe .

the manual is online if you want to look and see if i missed something " azor above ground pool manual"

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...ix0pxnI8eUn3zg

the manual seems very generic
    27'x54" Azor AGP. Hayward swg , 18" sand filter 1hp matrix pump . 16mil solar cover
    Alps Everest spa 455 gal

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm pretty sure a foam cove is used in lieu of a sand cove. Why would you need sand there?
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

5. Back To Top    #5

I thought regardless of what cove material is used your still supposed to add a 2-3" base ? is that not correct ? do i simply install the foam cove at the bottom of the pool on the ground and that's it ? if so what protects the liner from the ground (dirt)
    27'x54" Azor AGP. Hayward swg , 18" sand filter 1hp matrix pump . 16mil solar cover
    Alps Everest spa 455 gal

6. Back To Top    #6

Re: installing foam cove and base, Do i need a base ?

from the pool store or manufacture videos I have seen they do the base sand (floor) and then a sand cove or a foam cove. You don't want to cover the cove with sand. The whole point of it is to keep the liner from slipping under the pool wall. I would think if you cover the cove with the floor you are just back at square one.

7. Back To Top    #7

Re: installing foam cove and base, Do i need a base ?