Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can't get pH up, am I missing something?

1. Back To Top    #1

Can't get pH up, am I missing something?

I follow TFP religiously...but this year I am struggling to keep my pH up.

FC - 6
    CC - 0
    TA - 80
    CYA - 60
    pH - 7.2

I've followed the calculators and have added enough pH to go 7.8 three times over and it keeps dropping to low 7's

I use Borax 20 to boost.

Any idea or any thing I should provide to help out ?

Thanks in advance!
    14,750 GAL IG Fiberglass (16 x 33) NE Ohio || Jandy 1HP 2 speed Pump || Waterco MultiCyclone 16 Centrifugal pre-filter (removed due to not working with sand filter) || 30" 575 Lb. Sand Filter || AquaCal 140K BTU Heat Pump || Solar Cover || Inter-fab Adrenaline Slide || GLI Monsoon Solar Cover Reel || K-2006C Test Kit || BBB with Liquid Chlorine Stenner Injection || Rayner Mighty Mesh Winter Cover

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Can't get pH up, am I missing something?

Aeration will likely help quite a bit.
    19204 Gallon L Shape with a 10X10 2nd Step Baja Ledge. Intellichlor IC-40, IntellipH, Cartridge Filter, Pentair Heater/Chiller (Heat Pump). Tons of Deck with Deck Jets. Construction Complete 6/5/17.

"If you don't measure it, you can't manage it!"

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

You might try raising your TA with baking soda. Try going to to 100 and see if your PH isn't more stable there.
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

4. Back To Top    #4

What is the pH/TA/CH of your fill water...

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

5. Back To Top    #5

Does it go up and then back down or does it not go up at all?

Have you used trichlor tabs or granular?

Have you added cyanuric acid?
    Support the site

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

6. Back To Top    #6

Ok, wow....all good questions.

1) Aeration...got it, but every other year I have had rock stable pH with the same TA, etc.....so what changed ?

2) TA Raise with Baking Soda...so yes, but last year and every other year TA of 80 gave me rock solid pH....so I am stumped.

3) Unsure of fill water, but in all reality I've NEVER added fill water in the last 4 years, it is always rain water.

5) YES - I did add Cyanuric acid about a month ago, but this is all problems that have risen since...I did for some insane reason over shoot CYA, wanted to target 50, but got to 60 - could there still be some crazy strong acid....weeks later ?
    Also, I should add some Borax and then 30 min later test....that I have not done yet, so I will.
    14,750 GAL IG Fiberglass (16 x 33) NE Ohio || Jandy 1HP 2 speed Pump || Waterco MultiCyclone 16 Centrifugal pre-filter (removed due to not working with sand filter) || 30" 575 Lb. Sand Filter || AquaCal 140K BTU Heat Pump || Solar Cover || Inter-fab Adrenaline Slide || GLI Monsoon Solar Cover Reel || K-2006C Test Kit || BBB with Liquid Chlorine Stenner Injection || Rayner Mighty Mesh Winter Cover

7. Back To Top    #7

Just a thought.... how old is the test reagent? And did you get the right one?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

8. Back To Top    #8

Might be going on year 3....R-0004.

It came with the k-2006 c

9. Back To Top    #9

My Taylor reagents all have a expiration date , wonder if Richard is on to something. I would replace the 0004 reagent and retest
    31x22 FF IG, 16k gallon , 3.5-5.5-4.5, Hayward 425 cartridge, Tristar variable speed, Aqua Rite AQ15 SWG, HPC 4 wireless controller, LED, Texas Grey pebble finish, Taylor K 2006 and 1766,speedstir ,New build in central Texas....

10. Back To Top    #10

Where might I find that date I have a lot number it says 1044D

11. Back To Top    #11

If it doesn't have an actual Exp. Date on it, then it is over 3 years old because Taylor has been printing expiration dates for a while now...

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

12. Back To Top    #12

Interesting, mine are in the lower back of each reagent. My kit is less then a year old, maybe they just started dating them recently?
    31x22 FF IG, 16k gallon , 3.5-5.5-4.5, Hayward 425 cartridge, Tristar variable speed, Aqua Rite AQ15 SWG, HPC 4 wireless controller, LED, Texas Grey pebble finish, Taylor K 2006 and 1766,speedstir ,New build in central Texas....

13. Back To Top    #13

Are you sure that you have the right Borax?

How much are you adding and how long after adding do you test?

Is your solar cover new?
    Support the site

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

14. Back To Top    #14

20 Mule Team Borax, gotta be the right stuff correct ?

So I gotta strange question, assume yes, but hey just in case.

If I get my speedstir going, and then I add some borax to the cell the pH should be off the chart correct ? Would that at least tell me if my solution is good ?

15. Back To Top    #15

You say that your fill water is rain. Maybe there is more acid in your rain water this season?
    16,000 gallon in-ground pebble tec pool. Hayward SP3400VSP Eco-Star Pump, Pentair Triton 2 TR-100 sand filter, A&A 5-port in-floor pool cleaner, Pentair Intellibrite 5g color changing pool light, Polaris 965iQ Robotic Pool Cleaner, OG Pool Math Subscriber and most importantly a Taylor K-2006C test kit.
    Test Kits Compared
    | SLAM | Chlorine / CYA Chart |

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by spinPHD View Post
    You say that your fill water is rain. Maybe there is more acid in your rain water this season?
    Dang...I mean yes that is possible for sure. But if I test my pH, it is 7.1, I then add enough Borax to get to 7.6 say, yet it still reads 7.1 a day later with no rain.

I will get some more reagent and hopefully that is it....assuming there is a shelf life.