Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Spa light junction eliminate

1. Back To Top    #1

TFP Guide

Spa light junction eliminate

My spa light has a junction box the sits in the middle of the yard. It is an eye sore and a tripping hazard. I need to replace the spa light as it doesn't work (rusted water inside probably circa 1980s). Is there a way to eliminate this and marry up the two conduits below ground without having to replace the entire conduit?IMG_0533.JPG thanks!

Karen
    33K IG w spa plaster, Pentair 1HP Whisperflo, DE Filter, SWG CircuPool RJ-60, Dolphin Triton Plus, Raypak Dig 336K BTU, TF-100.
    Pool Math Chlorine / CYA Chart SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
    2017 replaster/retile

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Spa light junction eliminate

Short answer: no. I know I've seen pictures of flush-mounted boxes, so I googled and followed a link from an image to NEC Requirements for Installing Pools and Spas, Part 2 of 3

For luminaires greater than 15V, the junction box must be at least [680.24(A)(2)]:

4 in. above the ground or pool deck or not less than 8 in. above the maximum water level ( Fig. 2 ).

4 ft from the inside wall of the pool, unless separated by a solid fence, wall, or other permanent barrier.

For luminaires less than 15V, you can use a flush deck box if [680.24(A)(2)]:

An approved potting compound prevents the entrance of moisture.

The flush deck box is at least 4 ft from the inside wall of the pool.
    If your pool lighting is low voltage, then you could dig things up and install a flush mount.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Spa light junction eliminate

What I want to do is to join the two conduits eliminate the junction and put in a light with a cord long enough to reach from the spa to electrical breaker panel at my equipment pad.

Or if a junction is needed put it closer to the electrical panel instead of out in the yard without having to dig a whole new complete trench from the spa to the electric panel.

Karen
    33K IG w spa plaster, Pentair 1HP Whisperflo, DE Filter, SWG CircuPool RJ-60, Dolphin Triton Plus, Raypak Dig 336K BTU, TF-100.
    Pool Math Chlorine / CYA Chart SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
    2017 replaster/retile

4. Back To Top    #4

You can put it close to the panel. The requirements are minimum measurements.

17,000 gal 20' x 34' Polymer freeform pool, All Hayward products: Aqua plus 16v w/ SWG & Aqua connect, Summit 140k btu heat pump, Tristar VSP 1.85HP, 1 Universal Colorlogic light, 1 320 Colorlogic light, 1 4' lighted Sheer Descent, 2 Pentair Magic Bowls

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

You need a junction box on 120v lights but you can move it near your panel. Keep in mind that you must also run a new #8 ground wire in the conduit (if the conduit is a non-metallic material).

The trouble you are going to have is splicing the existing conduit sections together and making them watertight if they are made of anything other than PVC.
    -Brian-

Pool/Spa, Pentair Equipment

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    Short answer: no. I know I've seen pictures of flush-mounted boxes, so I googled and followed a link from an image to NEC Requirements for Installing Pools and Spas, Part 2 of 3

If your pool lighting is low voltage, then you could dig things up and install a flush mount.
    What is the reasoning behind the 8 inch box height? I've seen this time and time again, and never truly understood the purpose behind the code.

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

The conduit is flooded so the height eliminates the chance of water entering the area where the electrical splices were made.
    -Brian-

Pool/Spa, Pentair Equipment