Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Should I add CYA?

1. Back To Top    #1

Should I add CYA?

So I have only been doing TFP method for a couple of weeks but the pool is crystal clear and I haven't seemed to have a problem yet. I have been testing the water almost everyday with the taylor basic test in the TF 100 and adding what I think is enough bleach to the pool. I have noticed that my chorine will be around 2 ppm by the end of the day and I have a CYA of 30. Ill dump what pool math says is the correct amount and come back the next day to it being around 2 ppm again. My pool gets a lot of sun and I was thinking maybe I should raise my CYA to around 40 to keep it from going to the bottom of the CYA/Chrlorine chart.

Last test results from the weekend were

FC 3
    CC 0
    PH 7.8
    TA 110
    CYA 30
    Temp 80 Degrees

The pool was previously managed by a pool service with the previous owner, I was worried the CYA would be thru the roof but it seems to be the opposite of what I was thinking. Here I was thinking I would be trying to lower all the levels but it might be the opposite. Love to get your advice.
    Last edited by JasoNoles; 05-10-2017 at 09:00 AM. Reason: addition to post
    18' x 36' 25,000 gallon rectangular, IG, Vinyl Pool, Hayward Sand Filter, 1.1 hp pump, TF-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Should I add CYA?

Yes. Personally, I'd shoot for 50 CYA since you probably get a lot of sun if Florida.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

I was kinda thinking 40-50 CYA would be better as well. Does that mean I have to add more Chlorine or does having it higher mean it will protect the chlorine and still add about the same amount daily.
    18' x 36' 25,000 gallon rectangular, IG, Vinyl Pool, Hayward Sand Filter, 1.1 hp pump, TF-100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by JasoNoles View Post
    I was kinda thinking 40-50 CYA would be better as well. Does that mean I have to add more Chlorine or does having it higher mean it will protect the chlorine and still add about the same amount daily.
    You'll have to add more to get above the new minimum, but the daily additions should be the same or a bit smaller.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!