Pool Deck Cracks

May 9, 2017
Augusta, GA
Hi everyone,

My family and I are in the process of buying a new home and we are very excited about getting our first pool. The house was built in 2003 and I believe the pool was built at that time. This site and forums have been really helpful and I plan to maintain everything myself. I have one concern though -- the concrete decking has some large cracks. During the inspection today I was told I should get these caulked so that they aren't a tripping hazard. Is that enough? I'll be asking the seller to make some repairs before the closing and I'm wondering what I should ask for exactly. I really don't want to buy something that is going to end up needing an expensive overhaul in the near future. I have attached a few pics showing the cracks. I really appreciate any advice I can get.
IMG_0820.jpgIMG_0821.jpgIMG_0819.jpgIMG_0818.jpg

Welcome to TFP, almost neighbor!

Wow, that's a lot of cracks. ALL cement cracks, its just a matter of where. These look to be pretty significant. I wonder if the owners would consider getting a fix from BeLevel cement company? They advertise that they can lift cement (fix any trip hazard) and maybe they can do something cosmetic about the cracks? Might be worth asking or calling them yourselves to see what they can do.

Maybe you can send them these pics and get a quote...and ask for the cost back from the sellers! That would be a great plan if it worked!!! lol

Maddie :flower:

B-Level Augusta/Columbia - providing economical solutions for spalled concrete, crack repair, concrete lifting and settling concrete in Augusta, GA

Hairline cracks in cement are normal. Separation gaps that wide usually happen when it was poured without and rebar or wire mesh. If thats the case, it maybe better in the long run to remove and replace it with properly reinforced concrete.

I agree that I'd want to start fresh with those cracks. Subsurface was not properly compacted.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.