Intex Pool Bonding

May 9, 2017
Aurora Ont
Hello all, new to the forum but have been lurking for a couple months. I have learned so much already. I recently purchased a 16 x 48 Ultra frame and am now in the midst of choosing equipment upgrades (probably Hayward 1hp pump and 19" sand filter). I also plan to get a heater but haven't decided between natural gas and a heat pump. I plan to hard plumb everything. Thanks to this forum, I feel confident in my ability to make informative decisions. My question is, Do i need to bond everything? Seems like some people do, and some don't. I now have safety concerns. Would it say anything in the pool manual about bonding? (Pool hasn't been delivered yet)... I just want a safe pool and I'm sure all the headaches will be worth it in the end. Any thoughts? Also, I will be getting an electrician in but I doubt he'll know anything about bonding an Intex Pool. Thanks in advance for any advice.

If you are changing the pump, and adding the heater you should bond the pool frame, the water, the ladder (if metal), the new pump, the new heater, and anything metal within 5 feet of the pool. You will also need to bury a bonding wire 18" out from the perimeter of the pool, and connect that to the bonding grid.

The reason there is no mention in the manual is because the original pump is double insulated, and that with the attached GFCI plug is how they side-step bonding.

In short, YES, you should bond the pool and equipment for your safety.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are building new bonding is an easy thing to do and it's not a big expense. The NEC here in the US changed their rules a couple years back to close the bonding loophole on intex. The rule here now is any pool with more than 42 inches of water must be bonded.

For bonding loops Canada says to use #6 solid bare copper wire. You will need to run a loop of wire around the outside you your pool about 2-3 feet from the side of the pool and buried about 3 inches down. You then connect that loop to the pump, heater, water bond fitting, and ladder(if its a metal framed ladder). Normally you would connect to the frame of the pool too but as I understand the intex frames have a lot of plastic in them making them more or less un-bondable. All in all it shouldn't cost more that about 150 but you will end up with a much safer pool.

The bonding loop should NOT be connected to the electrical ground wiring at the equipment pad. All of the grounding wires on the equipment pad should be insulated green wire. Don't forget the GFCI protection for your pump and heater as well.

Thanks for the responses. Seems pretty straight forward. I am planning on digging the pool down a foot or two with a retaining wall because my yard is sloped. Here's another question, would I bury the copper wire 3-4 inches below the bottom of the pool grade or below grade on the other side of the retaining wall? I plan on having 10-12 inches between the pool and retaining wall. Maybe it would be best to have 18 inches between the pool and wall so i could bury the wire within the pool area. Was also thinking if I just got a bigger intex pump, would I still need to bond? I'm assuming the answer is yes because of the heater.

You want the wire buried below grade 2-3 feet (24-36 inches) from the pool wall.

Only bond the pump if it is equipped with a bonding lug. You should still put in the bonding loop and bond the heater and the water. That way if you upgrade the pump you will be able to bond it as well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.