Pool Coping Renovation in Los Angeles - company recommendation?

Hello TFP! :wave:

The wife and I are moving into a house with a pool that has a pretty old, dominating concrete border. After a lot of head scratching, I think we want to demo all the existing cement, and either trim it down to a 2 foot deck, or pour a new coping and border. The backyard is a mess, and too much of it's being taken up by the pool's concrete deck.

Does anyone in the area have a recommendation for a company who can do this in the Los Angeles area, and anyone know what something like this might cost?

Here's a shot of what we're working with:

1709 Pool photo - pre.jpg

Thanks for the help! I hope soon we will have some nicer pictures to post in the Paradise section.

Dan

Last edited:
HI! First off I want to say I like that old concrete LOL as I like things that are different and that is different.

Next I want to point out you do not want the walking area around the pool to be much smaller than it is now.

Is the lip of the concrete around the pool as much a trip hazard as it looks in the picture?

Okay on to who to do the work and the cost.........The best thing you can do is start calling around your area. Hit everyone one that will answer the phone. I will tell you that about half of them will not show up for the appointment so that will whittle down the list fast. Get at least 3 quotes and share what they want to do here so we can look it over. The costs is VERY dependent on the area so we have no way of knowing what it will cost you there.

Good luck and let us know what you find out. Until then happy swimming!

Kim:kim:

Thanks for the reply, Kim!

Yes, there's weird changes in elevation and grade all over the backyard. Major trip hazards. We're going to work on smoothing those out.

The wife and I like a greener look for the backyard, so I think we're going to aim for something more like this (stolen from another thread):

Pool build organic deck.jpg

We also were going to go for a sun deck on the edge of the pool closest to the camera, with just a thinner border around the rest of the pool, and grass/plants beyond that.

I have some concerns about our ancient pool equipment, also, but I'll start a new thread in the equipment section for that.

EDIT: I added the original photo back in to my first post. Does that photo go away if I delete the attachment from my account? I ran over my memory limit with just 3 photos, does that sound right?

- Dan

Oh, no, you're going to give pooldv a head that's as big as his left foot! (That's his pool - his warm, clear, seductive pool).

The best way to have room to upload photos is to contribute. See my signature or the top of the website. Although you can also use a photosharing website.

BTW DanDanThePoolMan, my pool guy's name is Guy. I laugh to myself every time I talk to him. He closes my pool and does the stuff I don't want to, like motor and equipment pad work.

Hey by the way, do you think I should estimate the gallons of this pool as 3 circles? If I do that it comes to 17k gallons. Does that sound about right to you all?

Or do you think I should average everything and just do a rectangular estimation?

I'm planning to learn about pools over the next month, then take over maintenance from the pool service which we inherited from the previous owner.

Thanks,
Dan

Hey that is a great looking pool you picked to model! You have excellent taste. :) There are a bunch more pics of it in my pool thread, link in my sig.

I'd do 2 circles and don't subtract for overlap. That should also take care of the shallow area. How deep is it to give me a feel for volume?

Thanks for the suggestion!

The pool is 4'4" deep in the middle larger circle, and 7'6" deep in the far smaller circle. The little shallow area is teeny (19" deep).

Pooldv, let's trade pools please! It would save me a lot of heartache (and $$$) in the months to come, as I embark on the backyard and pool renovation.

Dan

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.