semi-inground pool (head is spinning)

May 7, 2017
Northern NJ
Hey everyone. We are putting in a above ground pool for the kids (6,8,10 yrs). It took a lot of convincing to get my husband to even agree on a pool (like been asking for 2yrs) and he finally is considering it. I have to move pretty quick before he changes his mind (hehe). Anyway, here is what we are looking for...

-Budget = $12,000.00 for the pool, install and decking.
-15' x 30' oval (I don't care about wall height)
-The yard slopes a bit so the pool will be 2 feet in the ground on one side (left) and only 1 foot in the ground on the other (right).
- We will build a deck off our current screened porch to get to the pool. Eventually, I would like a walkway all around the pool but to start we probably will just have to do pool railing.Attached is a drawing, it just gives you an idea of our setup.
-We live in Northern NJ so we can get lots of snow/ice. Need something that will hold up to the weather.
- I figure I have a good 10yrs of kids swimming so would like it to last that long.

18342087_10155278585992813_3485483903264074069_n.jpg

I went to all the local pool stores and only one had a model that could be put in the ground (Radiant) and it basically was our entire budget without a deck. I started to look around online and found the poolfactory.com which seems to get very good reviews here. They have a few semi-in-ground pools but only one model is approved for saltwater (saltwater 5000/8000).

Ok, so my questions.....

1. Do you think I can get what I want in our budget? I have no problem buying the pool and supplies online if I can get someone to install it. I just don't think we are ready to install ourselves.
  2. Do any of the pools on poolfactory.com look good enough to handle snow/ice, saltwater (I understand it may void warranty) and actually going into the ground 2 feet like they say they can? Link to pools in my size - https://www.thepoolfactory.com/swimming-pools/semi-inground-pools/oval/15x30?si=1346. From what I have read I need to find something with aluminium sides but none of the pools listed seem to have this. Are these crud pools?
  3. Is poolfactory.com the best place to buy at discount? Any other sites out there that have good quality pools? Any other model I should look at?
  4. What is the best way to find installers? I am afraid when I tell them I want it buried they are going to hang up on me, lol.
  5. Those with semi-inground pools, did you do the slurry mix around the outside even if the pool is rating to be buried halfway? If so, did you put any plastic or protective barrier on the outside wall as well? Have you had any issues?
  6. Anyone with one of the poolfactory models in the ground, have any experience to share? I see some have the saltwater 5000/8000 but the posts I saw mentioned looked like they were newer installs.

I did request a quote from Pittsburgh Swimming Pools Spas | Swimming Pool Discounters for a aquasport but I dread how expensive it is going to be....This is just all so overwhelming.

The Pool Factory is a legit and good company, we ordered some supplies from them and considered ordering our pool there but ended up with one from Pool Supply World and had it installed last August, replacing an Intex. Total cost for pool, liner, filter, etc, plus install was only around $4500. We had a slope of around 10 inches at the spot where we put the pool and we had them dig out the center a bit for a deeper area. We are just now having a deck installed but total cost of everything for us is going to be well under your budget so unless things are much more expensive where you live (we are in FL) I don't think it should be a problem. We bought the Lomart Verona which is made by the same company that makes Doughboy and is identical to one of their models.

My saltwater 8000 has been buried for 2 winters now and haven't had a single problem with it. I put a french drain around the bottom of the pool and back-fill on top of the stone for the french drain. Pool stores wouldn't touch my install because its semi in-ground, I think for liability reasons. I found 2 installers on craigslist and had problems with both of them. One of the installers sold and installed dough-boys and he commented that the wall was incredibly heavy compared to some other pools he installed. I didn't do a concrete apron because realistically any steel buried in the ground is gonna rust out at some point so without the apron I can always replace the pool. Feel free to ask any more questions?

I am in Oregon and am not able to find anyone to install. We called DoughBoy stores up north and they have installers but told us that we didnt need to hire anyone to install because it was super easy. We tried to find help on Craigslist and no one has the experience. We called local pool installers and they only want to do the high dollar pools (gunite, vinyl, etc) .. I also got the SaltWater 5000 15 x30 for around 4K, and am paying close to 3K for the excavating company to dig, level and sand the area. My husband and one other guy will do the install.

I am in Oregon and am not able to find anyone to install. We called DoughBoy stores up north and they have installers but told us that we didnt need to hire anyone to install because it was super easy. We tried to find help on Craigslist and no one has the experience. We called local pool installers and they only want to do the high dollar pools (gunite, vinyl, etc) .. I also got the SaltWater 5000 15 x30 for around 4K, and am paying close to 3K for the excavating company to dig, level and sand the area. My husband and one other guy will do the install.

Is DoughBoy better than other semi-inground pools?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Now I am thinking Oasis or
  • Aquasport Pools

My pool is also from the Pool Factory..but I had a devil of a time finding an installer..in the end we lucked out with ours. You can go into The Great Escape and check out "The Oasis"..but I think it is called something else.. When I eventually get something else.. I think I will go with the local pool stores..just so I don't have to go through finding someone to dig and install.

Yes, just a note for people in the future. It is very difficult, maybe even impossible to find a installer willing to do a burial. If your planning that route, make sure you find someone first or be prepared to do the install yourself

We did the same as jason176, ours has been through one winter (in Canada).
Rented an excavator, dug ourselves, had a landscaper friend help remove extra dirt, and family and a couple friends helped with the install.
I backfilled with clear stone, wrapped with landscape fabric ( basically a French drain) and called it a day.
We just used a regular above ground pool with a resin bottom rail, purchased direct from the manufacturer. The 21' round pool was around $2400 with all needed equipment. Ours is not saltwater. I didn't see the need for it.

We just accepted the fact that we were voiding any warranty when we buried it. We figure if we get 10 years out of it, we got our money's worth and we'll decide then if we want to replace, upgrade to inground, or fill it in and get over it.

We have a semi-inground for past 7 years or so. We live in Central Jersey, bought an Oasis 18x33 from Branch Brook which is now Namco. Installer was Y.E.S. contractors from Wall, NJ. They were great and very knowledgeable about semi-inground installations. The original owners of Branch Brook now own At Home Recreation. I will try to post some pics but I can't figure out how to do it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.