Balancing before slamming

My first post. I've learned a lot from this superb site. I had a dark green pool when I opened it. I already put 21# of shock powder and 5 gal. of liquid shock in my pool. This work great last year. The pool is now light green. Taylor K2006 FAS-DPD measurements now are FC 2.0, CC 3.0, PH between 7.0 & 7.2, TA 50, CH 150, CYA 0. The Pool Math calculator says to be careful if the CYA is truly zero. I have four 3" tabs in a floating chlorinator; have been using 3" tabs for about 20 years (but will use bleach from now on). I'd appreciate any advice before I add anything or buy more liquid bleach to shock it. Thanks, Doug

Go to good old Walmart instead! Save the pucks for out of town times this summer. Kept dry, they don't go bad.
(Liquor Chiller NOT for sale or trade!)

Sock or kneehi stocking with a knot tied in it.

Learned that putting Stabilizer in an old sock is difficult and takes about three days to dissipate 2# in the skimmer. A sock made for skimmers is much better; 2# dissipated in one day. Also found that stretching the sock over a funnel was much easier than trying to hold the sock open while poring the powder. Thankfully I had rubber gloves and eye protection on, but my forearms were red afterward. Cya increased from 0 to 50.
Put in 1# PH+, then the next day I added 4 gal. 12% Mega Shock. Readings before shocking were PH 7.1, TC 2, FC 0, TA 40, CYA 50, TH 150. The next day they were FC 8, CC 1.0. Added 3 gal. more shock, resulting in FC 19, CC 1. The next morning I read FC 13.5, CC 1.5, so am going to add 2 gal. shock to increase FC above 20 (per the excellent PoolMath calculator). Brushed several times a day and using Dolphin robot to remove a few remaining leaves. Water still green, but improving.
Does anyone know how I can change my posting name??

Last edited:
I'm still in the slamming process. Leaves seem to gone finally. Backwashing with added DE powder to sand filter several times a day. Dolphin Nautilus not getting much, but is brushing the pool. Pump 24x7. Can finally see bottom. Today's readings FC 16 and CC 1.0, so added another gallon of 12.5% shock and manually brushed. Added 16 gallons shock since 5/10/17. FC typically drops from 24 to 20 overnight. Any further suggestions, or should I just continue patiently?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.