Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: O/B SoCal IE

1. Back To Top    #1

O/B SoCal IE

I have been lurking for some time. I have been following most of the O/B Threads, especially the Hambels. ( Great Build )

I am at the Gunite stage now but have taken pictures all along the way and will post.

Now for the hard part; coping, tile and decking. So many choice

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: O/B SoCal IE

Here is the original layoutLayout.jpg. A couple of items were moved during layout to maximize space.

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Welcome to the forum

Owner/Builder threads are great!
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Here are a couple of pre dig and form setting pics.DSC01383.jpgDSC01389.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    Welcome to the forum

Owner/Builder threads are great!
    Thank you.

- - - Updated - - -

Apparently I went over quota on picture size. Ill have to resize and add more later

5. Back To Top    #5

6. Back To Top    #6

I dont like the photobucket approach. So tips and pointers of how most are resizing and posting would be appreciated.

7. Back To Top    #7

donate.

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

O/B SoCal IE

Correct. Resizing is not practical as the photos quickly become to hard to see properly. Other than linking with a photo sharing site, a donation to the site gives ample space. Most think the donation is with it for the benefits received from the site and its tax deductible as TFP is a 501(c)(3) organization. Link is in my signature or at the top of the website.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking | Merlin SmartMesh winter safety cover
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

9. Back To Top    #9

Thank you , I didn't know that. I will donate.

Wish I had know about the test kit discount before buying this past weekend.

10. Back To Top    #10

Dig and Rebar.DSC01408.jpgDSC01414.jpg

11. Back To Top    #11

Plumbing and Gunite is in and curing. Next step coping, tile and concrete....and I have only flakes so far...IMG_20170421_172857.jpgIMG_20170423_102437.jpgIMG_20170428_063259.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

IMG_20170428_090516.jpgIMG_20170428_104153.jpgIMG_20170428_122840.jpg

12. Back To Top    #12

Looking for input. Wife and I disagree (Imagine that!) on this design decision. The pool has a 18" raised BB on the back wall and the spa. We are putting stone on the raised wall part. I want to continue and wrap the stone around the spa wall, (pool facing ) so everything raised 18" is stone. She wants to do the waterline tile on the face of the spa where the water from the pool matches. So basically the spa face. Does that make sense?

Comments, ideas, suggestions.

13. Back To Top    #13

It comes down to how you want the profile of the back side of the pool to look. If you apply stone on the wall and the spa, do you like the profile that creates (i.e., a straight line becoming a curved line). If not, break up the shape of the back wall by tiling the spa.

My preference would be to tile the spa because it separates the back wall of the pool from the spa and give you two distinct shapes, that of the back wall in stone and that of the spa in tile.

14. Back To Top    #14

Just a thought.... it's a lot easier to scrub waterline scale off tile than stone. and how rough is that stone? I've noticed that little kids like to hang out in the spa because it's shallower, but from time to time clamber over the wall to get in the pool.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

15. Back To Top    #15

TFP Guide

Having it the same will make the spa recede into the background. Having it tiled will accent it and make it stand out.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking | Merlin SmartMesh winter safety cover
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

16. Back To Top    #16

Thanks for the above responses. They all make sense.

17. Back To Top    #17

What kind of tile????? Any BLING???

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

18. Back To Top    #18

Kim,

I'm stalled at gunite. Had 2 contractors flake. Negotiating now with the 3rd and forth. Couple of changes. We are looking at https://www.ontariopooltile.com/coll...oducts/ms-1285 something similar to this. Stone on the raised BB maybe like this https://www.ontariopooltile.com/coll...rocky-mountain At this stage I think im going with poured in place coping and stamped concrete. 2 different shades of brown.

Getting frustrated with the whole process.

19. Back To Top    #19

2????? have flaked? Ah man! I have a sad for you I am hoping 3 or 4 will come through and fast!

I like both of those! I like the coping when it is a different color than the decking. It really shows off the pool to me.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

20. Back To Top    #20

By flaked I mean one stopped returning calls. I guess he didn't like me getting other estimates, felt i was "working" him. Another came out and just never called back. I wont track them down...

Going to the tile store this weekend to finalize tile and rock.
    O/B IG 15K gal Gunite pool 28x17 Freeform, Stonescapes Tropics Blue with extra glass and shells - 3 1/2 to 6 deep, spa 7 1/2 circular, All Pentair - IntelliFlo 2 VST Variable Speed Pump, Pentair Whisperflo, Superflow 2hp for sheers, Mastertemp 400K, FNS plus DE 60 sq, Easytouch 8SC-IC40 w SWG, Screenlogic2 Interface & wireless connection kit, Intellibrite 5g lights, TF - 100 Test Kit.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast