Davenport Florida
cya under 30
fc 2
cc over 20
ta 100

above ground pool
10,000 gallons

i'm trying to help my dad.

everytime he ads liquid bleach, unscented and not splashless, the pool foams like a kids bubble bath.
he can not get cc up and is dumping gallons of bleach in the pool. has been adding bleach 3x daily about morning noon and night.
every reading is about the same as above.

now for back history...
pool came with the house 3 years ago..
dad claims cya is well over 100.. wasn't concerned with cya
kept the fc at 2 and cc at 0
used algaecide once a week.

pool never turned color always clear and not cloudy... mom claims they got swimmers year last year.

winterized the pool last year, this year opened to green and full algae blooms... very disgusting.
Now it is aqua marine going on two days
and the above foaming problems.

please help !

I would recheck that you are in fact using regular bleach and not something with some additive.

Are we sure he did not add a boat load of algaecide or some other potion? Some of them can cause foaming.

It's never going to clear up with CYA that high!

FC would have to be maintained above 8 ppm just to properly sanitize.

At 100 ppm CYA it takes 39 ppm FC to get to shock level. That level is hard to achieve, difficult to maintain and would take a whole LOT of bleach. Truth is his CYA is probably even higher than that as most tests top out at 100. You can perform a diluted test and see how high it actually is.

A substantial water change is going to be required to get CYA back to a manageable range, otherwise you're just spinning your wheels and getting nowhere.

my bad, that cya level was last years... right now it's under 35... sorry for the confusion.

he is continuing the slamming... but the bubbles and foaming is still happening.

he does have a much lower cc reading now. i think it's 2, and his fc is 20, checking and adding bleach hourly.
at midnight he has to call it a night and start again in the morning.

my main concern was the high cc... but that has come down...
and this bubble and foaming that happens non stop.

he's out there with a net trying to scoop as much foam as he can off each time it happens.

What algaecide was used? Some are basically just ammonia, which would eat up FC quickly and cause the high CC, as well as possibly be partially responsible for the foaming.

i'm not sure something 60......

is that bad?

I'm glad he stopped adding misc chemicals and got on board with me on just chlorine.
he has dumped over 20 gallons of chlorine in this pool!

i started to wonder if the powdered shock and liquid chlorine mixed was a problem..

i think it's getting better but it's dropping 10 ppm every other hour. kinda worried about how expensive this is gonna be for him. he really only has till sunday because he's got to go to work. he even took off work on wednesday and worked from home thursday and friday.

i don't want him to give up.

It didn't get green overnight and it won't clear overnight. The key is to make sure that all of the debris like leaf debris, etc is removed from the pool.

Test and add chlorine hourly at first and he can back off when it starts to hold. Run the pump 24/7, backwash when the pressure rises 25% and not before as sand filters work best when they are a little dirty. Brush the pool every day.

He can still fight the good fight when he goes back to work, he can test in the morning before work and add bleach, test and add bleach when he gets home from work, test and add bleach after dinner, test and add bleach right before bed.

He might run out of reagent to test FC before he is finished, so best to order reorder it before he runs out. The refills from TF test kits are a very good buy: TFTestkits.net

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
just wanted to update...

my poor dad, is still slamming the pool daily. It is still dropping 5 ppm overnight.

I'm wondering if he should raise his chlorine up higher than what he is doing.
i noticed if you dig a little their is a mustard algae slam recommendation, although he says his was green algae not mustard.
the pool is clear and looks good, it's just not passing the overnight loss test.

any thoughts?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.