Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: anyone using an AQR-15 for a 35,000 - 40,000 gallon pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

anyone using an AQR-15 for a 35,000 - 40,000 gallon pool?

Would love to hear if anyone with a large pool has the AQR-15...

Thanks!
    38,000 gallon vinyl liner, True "L", Sand Filter, Hayward Heater, Diving Board

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: anyone using an AQR-15 for a 35,000 - 40,000 gallon pool?

I would suggest 2, or going with a larger one from another brand.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I get it, the only other product I would consider for the price is one of the circupool products, but I just dont trust them....2 AQR-15 would be cost prohibitive....

4. Back To Top    #4

Well, pay for the larger SWG or pay to have to run your pump nearly 24/7 to maintain adequate FC. That is the trade-off.

Now given your location, the sun is less intense, so perhaps you could have lower daily FC losses.

Let me wow you with math

The T-15 produces about 1.4 pounds of chlorine gas running at 100% for 24 hours. In a 38k pool, that equates to 4.4ppm of FC.
    A typical pool needs 2-4ppm of FC daily.
    If you get lucky and are on the low end of that, you would need to have the SWG running at 100% for 11 hours to add 2ppm. So your minimum pump run time will be 11 hours per day.
    Usually a pool only needs to run for a few hours a day for mixing and filtration, so 11 hours is going to be a significant amount of extra electricity (depending on your rates).
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Well, pay for the larger SWG or pay to have to run your pump nearly 24/7 to maintain adequate FC. That is the trade-off.

Now given your location, the sun is less intense, so perhaps you could have lower daily FC losses.

Let me wow you with math

The T-15 produces about 1.4 pounds of chlorine gas running at 100% for 24 hours. In a 38k pool, that equates to 4.4ppm of FC.
    A typical pool needs 2-4ppm of FC daily.
    If you get lucky and are on the low end of that, you would need to have the SWG running at 100% for 11 hours to add 2ppm. So your minimum pump run time will be 11 hours per day.
    Usually a pool only needs to run for a few hours a day for mixing and filtration, so 11 hours is going to be a significant amount of extra electricity (depending on your rates).
    and depending on what pump you are using. This makes a case for a VS pump running at a low speed.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, H400 & Heliocol Solar, Dolphin S-300, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit, Smart Home/Alexa pool control

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by JoeRJGR View Post
    I get it, the only other product I would consider for the price is one of the circupool products, but I just dont trust them....2 AQR-15 would be cost prohibitive....
    Have you looked at AutoPilot?

AutoPilot makes a 52,000 system.
    Josh Ulfers - josh@saltpoolguys.com - 888-725-8766
    SaltPoolGuys.com - AutoPilot Pool Pilot Systems, Parts & Cells - AquaCal Heat Pumps

7. Back To Top    #7

I have not looked at autopilot...Chief, last year I recorder my daily FC loss. It was about 1.5 ppm, with an average FC level of between 6 - 8 dosing with bleach. I would think that if I maintain my FC level between 1- 3 as suggested for SW Pools, my FC loss would be even less. This is what is baffling me.

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by JoeRJGR View Post
    I have not looked at autopilot...
    One the best features of the ST-220 / DIG-220 power supplies from AutoPilot is that you can go with a smaller cell and they are upgradeable in the future. If you were to go with their 42,000 gallon unit and find that a 42,000 gallon cell struggled on your pool then you could always upgrade to a larger cell without needing to replace the electronics or do any new plumbing work.
    Josh Ulfers - josh@saltpoolguys.com - 888-725-8766
    SaltPoolGuys.com - AutoPilot Pool Pilot Systems, Parts & Cells - AquaCal Heat Pumps

9. Back To Top    #9

If I had a pool your size and did not have Pentair installed on the original build I would choose an AutoPilot SWG because of the warranty for self installs with Pentair products and AutoPilot is a quality product that I would trust. Just my two cents.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process