anyone using an AQR-15 for a 35,000 - 40,000 gallon pool?

Well, pay for the larger SWG or pay to have to run your pump nearly 24/7 to maintain adequate FC. That is the trade-off.

Now given your location, the sun is less intense, so perhaps you could have lower daily FC losses.

Let me wow you with math :mrgreen:

The T-15 produces about 1.4 pounds of chlorine gas running at 100% for 24 hours. In a 38k pool, that equates to 4.4ppm of FC.
A typical pool needs 2-4ppm of FC daily.
If you get lucky and are on the low end of that, you would need to have the SWG running at 100% for 11 hours to add 2ppm. So your minimum pump run time will be 11 hours per day.
Usually a pool only needs to run for a few hours a day for mixing and filtration, so 11 hours is going to be a significant amount of extra electricity (depending on your rates).

Well, pay for the larger SWG or pay to have to run your pump nearly 24/7 to maintain adequate FC. That is the trade-off.

Now given your location, the sun is less intense, so perhaps you could have lower daily FC losses.

Let me wow you with math :mrgreen:

The T-15 produces about 1.4 pounds of chlorine gas running at 100% for 24 hours. In a 38k pool, that equates to 4.4ppm of FC.
A typical pool needs 2-4ppm of FC daily.
If you get lucky and are on the low end of that, you would need to have the SWG running at 100% for 11 hours to add 2ppm. So your minimum pump run time will be 11 hours per day.
Usually a pool only needs to run for a few hours a day for mixing and filtration, so 11 hours is going to be a significant amount of extra electricity (depending on your rates).

and depending on what pump you are using. This makes a case for a VS pump running at a low speed.

I have not looked at autopilot...Chief, last year I recorder my daily FC loss. It was about 1.5 ppm, with an average FC level of between 6 - 8 dosing with bleach. I would think that if I maintain my FC level between 1- 3 as suggested for SW Pools, my FC loss would be even less. This is what is baffling me.

I have not looked at autopilot...

One the best features of the ST-220 / DIG-220 power supplies from AutoPilot is that you can go with a smaller cell and they are upgradeable in the future. If you were to go with their 42,000 gallon unit and find that a 42,000 gallon cell struggled on your pool then you could always upgrade to a larger cell without needing to replace the electronics or do any new plumbing work.

If I had a pool your size and did not have Pentair installed on the original build I would choose an AutoPilot SWG because of the warranty for self installs with Pentair products and AutoPilot is a quality product that I would trust. Just my two cents.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.