Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Intex pump isnt running at full power

1. Back To Top    #1

Intex pump isnt running at full power

Hey fellow swimmers.

Im from Denmark and we are nowhere near ready to jump in our pool.......heatwise But we just filled the pool a couple of days ago. All winther it has been half full of water with no cover on, so the water has been a little dark.....or very dark, depending on who you will ask.

We are about to lower the PH from 7.9 to around 7.2, so we can get the clorine to work.

Our real problem is the power on our pump. We have a 2800gph Intex pump. Normally its running really well, but from the very start this year, it has been running with low flowingpower. When you look at the needle in the "meter", its pointing "late yellow" so its almost in the red area. If I put on the Intex bottomcleaner, it can barely run that. Last year, it was running across the bottom like it was on fire.....now barely moving at all.

When I had the same problem last year, it was allmost allways because the outlet in the pool had a lot of leaves and stuff sitting on it....but thats not the case here. Can anyone tell me where i might find the problem??

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Intex pump isnt running at full power

Just to make sure we understand ...... are you sure it's a "power" issue, and not simply a suction or water flow issue? For example, as dirty as the water appears to be right now, is there any chance the filter is simply overloaded with junk and needs to be backwashed or better yet - deep cleaned? Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Im not sure of anything. But just before we started the pump this season, we looked into the filter to check the level of sand. It was fine and it was clean. It doesnt seem like there is something wrong in there. Im not sure where I need to look. I have been backwashing and rinsing quite som times now. It doesnt seem to help. Thats why I wanted to check in here....

4. Back To Top    #4

Sometimes when it seems like a filter is clogging more than usual it is because there is a beginning algae bloom. That is often the first sign. Try doing an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to see if there is something growing in the pool.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks, I will try that

6. Back To Top    #6

With low flow and a high pressure on the gauge, I'd go for a filter cleaning/backwash. It would be really helpful if you filled out your signature so we'd know what type of filter you have.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

Ive been doing a lot of backwashing, and it seems to do the trick. Its getting better and better, so Im a happy camper
    16Ft X 48In Ultra Frame - 2800Gph Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump.