Tile Repair Question

santacruzpool

Gold Supporter
Feb 24, 2015
Santa Cruz, CA
I have just discovered a section of tiles that have come loose at our cover vault wall. The tiles are pushing up and need to be repaired.
1FX45mxBjaU79sgvpBLV1TM2P1QaYZ1gtRqFlpD8uEVIrxloJeLLm9AhiP9tcCQdGIJMObm2b3-iRjmWpy_8a9Zgy-BOZ9hmt9g8CxjNeEWoZAkTekgkPfpPFBFLLos-kMllhsjKxIRnzlMjZ6xYE6ptJmp_muLeNuTPOs-ELB8M6k48EXo2j3u692jP_EX_fxhtpUNSwBn-cJVS4PfavwOhp7eabyzDCpBhmyyTyUjbrSXL2M1P91XKenUJLeAWTr1DnZOiHoYCQRmyEaFqm_cbd0jduNvz_2HDNIOGzUjjzmqh1ZCx5U9ALvA5KQZPojCKwa5VHBZNzeJM6wjRmPD8vH15Y3AkBvdtSLbv19l0XBD0Q7ZCXzs5Gefvng0o6OP2BXmyjyUApIXK4K_9g21SSh_wXOvAntql6D4X_loMf9vgAjCOeHdkixf_ulzcwM_nRycG5WIkyNO6r8DzxGgq9bgQLQSdLA8Z43S1fTlWBcPU5R0n9fIWaiuNlNsP7mnLekgM2cMIAcOuhY2PiqOUUoZjXgprBeYkS7NFTgMPAT7DoTsHjOoxFXTH05yWoht2glHdkOy-IPbhlY2od0p8lPAd9WXPMjEN77TDONewkqIlraKBlvnEkNfkyd7NJGssh0oV2PKbz5E5e7GjciDej4pKO4CsQ-P4Z3QV1w=w1200-h698-no

Apparently our tile warranty was only 1 year, so we either need to pay the original pool builder to come do the repairs, hire any tile person we want, and/or DIY the fix.

Seem like a pretty easy fix. However, we would need to get the safety cover completely retracted and out of the way. The tile is above the waterline, so there is no problem with water while it is repaired and the mastic or adhesive cures.

One fix I thought of was to just shoot some good construction adhesive or caulk under the tiles and press them back down into place and be done??? Or I could buy some latex modified thinset and do the repair.

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions???

Thanks!

These are 24" wide full tiles that are sitting on the sloping vault beam. I am not sure what is causing it - they do push back down into place just fine. I am thinking just a change in expansion at the vault end based on our record rains???

We did just go from torrential rains to hot weather when it happened...obviously the original tile job wasn't the best. The grout line at that area is/was poorly done - it was re-done at the pool builders request just after it was built. There is now some missing grout on that leading edge so water could get under that tile...
qNLrrfHwEMkZfGA-BiXakuqv5GVKgr1rBw9WUkeH-V789cebUJIqgyacXKkFdzHl-8PnBCke0_0S3GqVAln087iAtBp7gBVxFIoAoltf6UPaJzXhWpPUFqRD6QzRWNSCoe_v5HIkMVN9Tnt80sO5gjSneBWanra5TYDSDeB00qQrSiadiv9VxCpEkD_l7YkaR3of9QEC4RqFK29FINotlf79h8T-QA1wQn-qgoD8_RHfCxP2SUL-HHjmqobk-t5OrAiPIrBoesq_pn_2RqYBgvPJ56i6466X41qNPFTZZIW_EfMTe6aIx7lOLEJDeeqXolfdj1H79GWHOjIsAoaoF0sFOTscS2KPcYA0k0_gtKN4sxzxMGIVcfu8zS2-GwuzKnv9soYKeMn3VwWPWIyMhYdM4XrZ6PHGE6IsEbs0MmFABdior3iilwg6JwXcbjufsHjpJGAarPVYB0IsSYwUFYKIjODzuVxnTGmrfdUYSOlWf2QTYBLfq_AY3YgCIzSqb4DyA5Ou0PHO9_I6AGHv7UBLGWwtfn64Dw5f1zoUCYJN2PT8lTzRCvz2EONV7c4CkLAFxXbDzXUBUEPVIPXDdQ-SrPuqT6a6F1uNm3Ed0yrByw-xuNhX=w789-h708-no

Pool builder stepped up - even though it is out of warranty. I was asking what the estimated cost would be to fix it, they said they are currently building 2 pools nearby so they would just have the mason stop by and fix it - at no charge :cheers:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The tile was repaired several days ago - the repair was a bit tricky as the cover bar sits over the tiles partially even when fully open. I don't think the mason would have known how to remove the bar and retract the cover further away from the tiling area.

They seem to have used standard grout and thinset, but I wasn't around to see them do it. There was some excess grout on the tiles that I was able to wipe off and clean up a little and a couple of tiny chips on one of the tile edges. Even though it isn't perfect it is now repaired and at no cost.

My tile problem has returned - almost 6 years later - two of the big tiles are lifting when they get hot - so I am guessing a bit of expansion. If I put pool water on them they lower down.

I am thinking this time I might use a good waterproof adhesive like Lexel and just DIY the fix...

My idea is to lift the tiles up a bit - squirt some Lexel under them and then put a bucket on top to hold them down for the day...the picture below shows the tiles that are lifting

IMG_20170430_110716.jpg

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.