Pole length

spf30

Apr 28, 2009
Hanna City, IL
Im sure this will sound like a dumb question, but...we have a 30' diameter pool. Im looking for a pole that won't get warped (or whatever is causing it) so you can't unscrew the tightening rings to lenthen or shorten the pole. I don't know how long the poles we now have will telescope out to (because they've been stuck for awhile!) but, the pole I'm looking at now will only extend to 16'. I know the halfway point in our pool would be 15'. Would having only one extra foot be enough to easily clean the center of the pool? I hate to go too much longer as the longer pole worries me that it will be too heavy when extended, but don't want to practically fall in while trying to vacuum the center where everything magically ends up!! How long should the pole I get be able to to extend? Thanks!

Back when I vacuumed regularly, I just did it IN the pool and never extended the pole. Now I have a little cleaner robot.

Get a good heavy duty pole that goes to 20 feet and you will have enough length to maneuver better, if you are going to be working from the outside a lot. If you keep the extended part up out of the water it won't be any heavier than when it isn't extended.

I prefer vacuuming in the pool as well, however the weather/water temp is a bit prohibitive early in the season! I've been reading mixed thoughts about poles. Some say don't spend a lot on one, others say, go for a heavy duty one. The cheap aluminum ones never last for us. But not sure I want to spend $100 on one though either. And not sure what makes one a 'good' one vs not, regarding materials. I know I want one that is easily adjustable and wont' get stuck. Do you have any suggestions?

I prefer vacuuming in the pool as well, however the weather/water temp is a bit prohibitive early in the season! I've been reading mixed thoughts about poles. Some say don't spend a lot on one, others say, go for a heavy duty one. The cheap aluminum ones never last for us. But not sure I want to spend $100 on one though either. And not sure what makes one a 'good' one vs not, regarding materials. I know I want one that is easily adjustable and wont' get stuck. Do you have any suggestions?

I don't have a recommendation, my pole was slightly damaged when delivered and it is hard to change brush or vacuum head on it. So while I would love a better one, I just don't use it enough to justify looking. I suspect it is a cheapo, can't remember.

This might be one of those times worth going to a pool store and checking a few out. Or maybe others will chime in. There also might be some kind of silicone type lubricant that would help with the couplers...???

I know what you mean about the water temp. I use this one from Lowes. I bought it for cleaning second floor windows and it works great. I had to rig the head to fit on but it does work. I just removed a small white plastic piece then put it back when I was done. I only use it when I don't want to go in the water (my prefered method). I also have a robot (that I won in a contest) but it misses some places.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.