Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can these tiny rocks go under the pool and damage liner?

1. Back To Top    #1

Can these tiny rocks go under the pool and damage liner?

Hi All - As you can see I bought bags of large rocks to spread around the pool. However, it appears that in a few of the bags some of the rocks were tiny crushed up pieces at the bottom. How worried should I be about 1) these tiny rocks getting in between the wall and bottom track and 2) somehow underneath the bottom track when it rains and piercing the liner? The picture may not show it but some of the rocks are very very very small and jagged.

Should I try to remove as many of the tiny rocks as possible?

This is a saltwater 5000 resin pool from the pool factory by the way
    rocks.jpg
    Gallons: 5000 Gallons
    Pool: 15' Saltwater 5000
    Filter: Pentair 1 HP Optiflow Pump w/ Clean & Clear 75Sq Ft Cartridge Filter
    SWG: Intex CS8110

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Can these tiny rocks go under the pool and damage liner?

I wouldn't be worried about rock you place on the outside of the wall migrating under you liner. There are many thousands of pounds of water trying to squeeze stuff out from underneath that area. It would be hard for a lil rock to go back the other way.
    Chuck-
    15x30 AG, Pentair Superflo VS, 19" sand filter, TF-100 test kit
    Aqua Comfort ACT750 heat pump / 6x20 ground mount solar panel / DIY automation

Photos of 2016 Build, Inside Your Breaker Panel, Free Copy of 2017 NEC code
    TFP is AD Free and is funded solely by member support click here to help

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks - what about the gap between the wall and the bottom track. can you see the little gap. A few small pieces fell in there already. Can that get to the liner?
    Gallons: 5000 Gallons
    Pool: 15' Saltwater 5000
    Filter: Pentair 1 HP Optiflow Pump w/ Clean & Clear 75Sq Ft Cartridge Filter
    SWG: Intex CS8110

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by richierich View Post
    Thanks - what about the gap between the wall and the bottom track. can you see the little gap. A few small pieces fell in there already. Can that get to the liner?
    Just hose it out or use a shop vac if you are worried. Personally I wouldn't worry about it, dirt and crud are the nature of "outdoors" if these pools can't handle a little nature they shouldn't even be sold for outdoor use. Even if you got a piece of gravel under the liner somehow, that is what patches are for.
    somewhere around 6,800 gal 18 x 4 foot round Intex Ultra Frame AG, finished filling August 29, 2013. toy pump w/ "A" cartridge up and running next day --- July 2015 upgraded to Krystal Clear 3000 GPH pump and 16" sand filter --- May 2016 Intex auto cleaner and in July salt system and Hayward skimmer

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

I've had river pebbles directly against my vinyl liner for years with no problem.

25000 gallon free-form gunite
    Jandy Stealth pump/CL340 cartridge filter
    Pentair IC40 SWG
    Pentair MasterTemp 250HD heater
    Jandy AquaLink RS automation

6. Back To Top    #6

I might be the only one, but they do get under the liner and make small holes. When swimming and splashing the walls of the pool bounce and makes the littler rocks slide under the liner. If they are sharp enough they will puncture. They are usually small hole and only drip and you can fix them during winter.

Felipe
    7,500 gal Rectangular, Easytouch, Air+water temp sensors, Screenlogic2, IC40, intellibright5g color12v, Intelli pH, SD 70 filter w/Zeolit, Magicstream Laminars, 4 actuators, waterfall. Raised Monolithic concrete lined with glass beads.

In Sunny Monterrey,Mx!