Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: A few newbie pool questions

1. Back To Top    #1

A few newbie pool questions

Hi all new to the forum, inherited a 18' round AG pool
    When we bought our house at the end of last summer.
    All the equipment we have was left from previous owner
    But no manuals. The sand filter tanks sticker is ripped in half so I can tell it's a Pentair Meteor tank, but not sure on
    The size, it states there are a 18" 20" and 22". The circumfrince around the tank is 70". So would that make it a 22"? Need to add new sand so wanted to make sure I know the right size to get enough sand. Also any recommendations on a good brand/type of sand to be looking for?? Finally (for now) all the equipment I have is by Pentair. Any thoughts positive/negative about the company?
    Thanks!
    18' Round AG
    Pentair 262506 1.5" HiFlo tm 6 pos. Valve
    Pentair Meteor Sand Filter
    Pentair DYNII-N1-1 1.5hp

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: A few newbie pool questions

Welcome to TFP!

My Pentair pool equipment has been great. Lots of folks here have pentair. No need to replace sand in a sand filter. If you think it needs some extra cleaning you can give it a deep clean, Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter

Pentair has manuals available on their website.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the info! The previous owner had left the tank outside without the valve or any cover on it and living in New England with all the rain/snow I thought it might be a good idea to replace. I had read in a very old post that if you divide the circumfrince by pie that would give the size?
    18' Round AG
    Pentair 262506 1.5" HiFlo tm 6 pos. Valve
    Pentair Meteor Sand Filter
    Pentair DYNII-N1-1 1.5hp

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes, circumference/pi = diameter.

Oh, they left the lid off all winter? Wow. You can go through the cleaning process for the sand and see how it is. It is probably fine.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Remember, sand is quite old and is used to harsh elements. If you are just itching to replace it, that's all good, but probably not necessary.
    310 gallon Tiger River Sumatran Spa, covered, standalone, fiberglass, Bleach
    11,000 gallon in-ground plaster pool, Hayward SmartFilter 550 (cartridge), CompuPool(Hayward) T-15 SWG, Hayward Super II pump
    Taylor Test Kit K-2006C, K-1766, SampleSizer, SpeedStir, Polaris P825