Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Newbie - Air in return jets

1. Back To Top    #1

Newbie - Air in return jets

Hello all,

Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere- I did a quick search, but could not find anything that matched my issue completely...

I bought a house that has an old DE filter, with pump and booster... originally attached to a solar heater.
    Last year we had some issues with the solar heater, and so we were advised to bypass solar.
    Ever since, when the pump turns off we can hear a gurgle. Each time the pump turns back on we get a huge amount of air through the return jets, for about 1 minute.

I cannot detect a leak anywhere, the pressure shows around 13 psi through the filter.

The pool is otherwise in good shape, so not sure if I should ignore this, or if it will bring trouble down the road.

I am very new at managing my own pool, so not sure what other information to offer you... but will answer what I can!

Thanks.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Newbie - Air in return jets

How does the air bleeder valve on top the filter feel when you open and close it? Once in a while, mine gets sticky. It seems to seal under pressure, but it will let air in when off.

Stick a balloon over the opening. If it's been sucked in overnight, you found the source.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you - just to clarify.... on the top of the filter housing is a pressure gauge and a small length of tubing.... is that the bleeder valve?
    Thanks.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by alexgwoodruff View Post
    Thank you - just to clarify.... on the top of the filter housing is a pressure gauge and a small length of tubing.... is that the bleeder valve?
    Thanks.
    Yep. The fat collar turns to open. Air or water will spit out the tube. If it's air, leave it hissing until water starts flowing, then close.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!