Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cannot get filter tank cover off..

1. Back To Top    #1

Cannot get filter tank cover off..

Hello. We moved into this house fall of 2015. So last summer,
    we used the pool for the first time. It's an above ground pool about 10 years old. Pump and filter also ten years old. Halfway through the summer I had to replace the pump. Filter still working good. Large Waterway cartridge filter. Ever since I closed the pool last fall, I can not get the filter tank open. I think whenmy uncle came to help me with something he really over tightened it. But nothing is getting it open. I want to clean the cartridge to start the season off right! Any tips or help is appreciated. I can take a picture of the tank if that helps! I hope to open the pool this week!
    Dawn
    Last edited by Dawnjoennikki98; 05-01-2017 at 04:21 PM. Reason: added signature
    Dawn- 10 year old 15 x 21 Oval Pole pool Above ground.
    Same age Waterway Cartridge Filter, New summer 2016 hi-flo pump.
    Summer 2016 first year in house, first time pool owner. new liner summer 2016

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Cannot get filter tank cover off..

Can you please post a pic or two? Also, please add your equipment to your signature by clicking on "quick links" and "Edit Signature"
    Bob - INTEX 12x24 owner (not setup yet), 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

3. Back To Top    #3

thanks, i added a signature and will also add pics now.

4. Back To Top    #4

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

In the Industry

6. Back To Top    #6

Cannot get filter tank cover off..

I would make sure every one of the lock handles is pressed in. Not sure if every little grip has one or not. Get extra hands to help if need be. Then take a rubber mallet and tap on each handle to unscrew the lock ring.

30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100

7. Back To Top    #7

Thank you. I'm not able to move anything, what I guess is the licks, they're actually not even locked from what i can see. I'll take a pic if what I mean tomorrow. Thanks for the help! And in the user manual they show a filter tank Wrench, is that something I can buy? Thanks everyone!

- - - Updated - - -

Locks not licks..... and actually the handle that unscrews the top from the bottom actually turns and come loose and I can take it off, but the top and bottom are still stuck together! So confusing...

8. Back To Top    #8

If the lock ring is off and the two sections are still stuck together, it's just the gasket or o-ring holding it together. You should be able to bump or rock the top section and get it to come loose. If that doesn't work, and I'm sure I'll catch some flack for this, I personally would bump the pump for about two seconds. That will pressure up the filter and knock the top loose. You didn't hear that from me though. Just what I would resort to if I couldn't get it off.

30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100

9. Back To Top    #9

Lol, Ok thanks!! I will try rocking it tomorrow, And try knocking it loose. 😁

10. Back To Top    #10

Using filter pressure to separate the filter can be very dangerous. When the top comes off, it can come off quite violently.

I would advise that this method never be used.
    Support the site

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

11. Back To Top    #11

I was mistaken, the lock ring is stuck also. Just absolutely no movement whatsoever. Had help of 3 people today and nothing. Sorry to be a pain in the rear but any other tips? And all of the handles are unlocked. My friend confirmed...😓

12. Back To Top    #12

Try tapping with a rubber hammer on the tabs.
    Support the site

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

13. Back To Top    #13

dumb question, but is your air relief valve open and the drain open? i had a de filter last year, and changed to cartridge this year. i almost cried because i couldn't get it open. then thought to open that valve. and it opened right up
    24ft, 52in above ground pool. Hayward ppwer-flo matrix 1HP pump, hayward x-stream cartridge filter