Cannot get filter tank cover off..

Jul 22, 2016
Belford NJ
Hello. We moved into this house fall of 2015. So last summer,
we used the pool for the first time. It's an above ground pool about 10 years old. Pump and filter also ten years old. Halfway through the summer I had to replace the pump. Filter still working good. Large Waterway cartridge filter. Ever since I closed the pool last fall, I can not get the filter tank open. I think whenmy uncle came to help me with something he really over tightened it. But nothing is getting it open. I want to clean the cartridge to start the season off right! Any tips or help is appreciated. I can take a picture of the tank if that helps! I hope to open the pool this week!
Dawn

Last edited:
I would make sure every one of the lock handles is pressed in. Not sure if every little grip has one or not. Get extra hands to help if need be. Then take a rubber mallet and tap on each handle to unscrew the lock ring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you. I'm not able to move anything, what I guess is the licks, they're actually not even locked from what i can see. I'll take a pic if what I mean tomorrow. Thanks for the help! And in the user manual they show a filter tank Wrench, is that something I can buy? Thanks everyone!

- - - Updated - - -

Locks not licks..... and actually the handle that unscrews the top from the bottom actually turns and come loose and I can take it off, but the top and bottom are still stuck together! So confusing...

If the lock ring is off and the two sections are still stuck together, it's just the gasket or o-ring holding it together. You should be able to bump or rock the top section and get it to come loose. If that doesn't work, and I'm sure I'll catch some flack for this, I personally would bump the pump for about two seconds. That will pressure up the filter and knock the top loose. You didn't hear that from me though. Just what I would resort to if I couldn't get it off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Using filter pressure to separate the filter can be very dangerous. When the top comes off, it can come off quite violently.

I would advise that this method never be used.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
dumb question, but is your air relief valve open and the drain open? i had a de filter last year, and changed to cartridge this year. i almost cried because i couldn't get it open. then thought to open that valve. and it opened right up

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.