Low NOx????

Dec 9, 2016
Simi Valley, Ca
Hello all,
I have narrowed my choices of a pool heater down to the Raypak 250k or 336k btu heaters. What exactly is the low Nox option? I am in Ventura county, California and it says it is necessary for me to buy this unit, but I am not a fan of the fact that it is a few hundred dollar increase. Is it necessary for me to spend the extra money? Hypothetically speaking, if I were to have the non low nox version installed in my pool what are the possible negative ramifications? I just bought this house last year and am not looking to move in the next 10 years.

Thanks in advance,
Mike

Ventura county could red tag your pool and require it's removal. These heaters are only required because of local ordinance, not for any mechanical reason. While altitude may require different burner orifices in gas appliances that is not the case here.

I could foresee a situation where the local authorities -- or the state -- will require retrofitting when a house is sold, much like with water heater straps. The Air Resources Board is serious, and they have a lot of authority. They went after cars, now they're after heavy trucks. (Ever notice the clean idle decals on new trucks? Ever notice you don't see many old trucks, anymore?) It's just a matter of time before it's furnaces and pool heaters. It's always cheaper to build something in than add it later. I would just bite the bullet and get one now so you're ready for whatever comes along regulation-wise.

I could foresee a situation where the local authorities -- or the state -- will require retrofitting when a house is sold, much like with water heater straps. The Air Resources Board is serious, and they have a lot of authority. They went after cars, now they're after heavy trucks. (Ever notice the clean idle decals on new trucks? Ever notice you don't see many old trucks, anymore?) It's just a matter of time before it's furnaces and pool heaters. It's always cheaper to build something in than add it later. I would just bite the bullet and get one now so you're ready for whatever comes along regulation-wise.
Richard, not to hijack, but LA county requires them now also.......

Low nox home heaters have been required in southern calif for more than 30 years. So while you may be able to buy a pool heater that's not no nox you will have to install it and service it yourself.

The future in so cal is electric trucks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.