Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Couple questions about the little blue box - TFT1000

1. Back To Top    #1

Couple questions about the little blue box - TFT1000

Hello,

I have a couple questions regarding the test kit in the blue box that comes with the TFT1000.

After doing the pool math and due to the high CYN I have, it recommended a FC level of 7. The test kit with the different color shades of yellow only goes up to 5. Not sure what to do there. Do I keep it at the top range, and if so, how do you tell if you have too much chlorine?

The instructions for the Borates test seems to be the same as the FC one. But that means that the higher your chlorine the higher your borates then? That's confusing me. It just goes up and down with your chlorine level? Going by the test I have a Borate level of 10+ cause my FC is showing as 5+

Thanks for your help.
    20,000 Gal, Built-In, Sand Filter, Plaster lining

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Couple questions about the little blue box - TFT1000

Scratch the little blue box for the chlorine test. You have a much better "drop based" FC test available there.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

HZ,

Welcome to TFP... A Great resource for the confused tester...

The little blue box is used for two things.. testing pH and low levels of chlorine.

Since you are just starting out, as woody says, don't use it for chlorine testing for now. And since the borates test is not applicable to you, just ignore it.

The test you need to use to determine your FC level and CC level is the one labeled "Chlorine Drop Test".

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Reread the laminated instructions for "weekly" testing. You will find how to do the FAS/DPD test........very, very accurate.

Use that yellow CHLORINE test (OTO) for quick daIly tests.....not for accuracy..
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

That makes sense, thanks fellas.
    20,000 Gal, Built-In, Sand Filter, Plaster lining