SLAM FC Level Question

Jul 17, 2016
Birmingham, AL
My fundamental question is whether the target FC for a SLAM (based on CYA) is a minimum or a maximum value? I've always viewed it as a minimum. Right now I'm slamming my pool with a CYA of 30 and the FC is approximately 18. The target is 12. Should I avoid going over 12?
Also, I'm assuming I should go ahead and remove my pool light and scrub it? I've never removed it before during SLAMs and had success. It's installed incorrectly and doesn't have enough wire to reach the pool deck, so I avoid taking it out.
The background: This is my second summer having a pool and I'm replacing the fence. I left the safety cover on while the fence was down, but my schedule had me opening a bit later than I wanted. I noticed under the cover the water (which had been clear) was cloudy and green-tinted, so I started running the pump 24/7 and added bleach to get to about 15-20 FC. Because of the cover I was not able to brush or run my pool cleaner. Now the fence is up, the cover is off, the green tint is gone and the water has cleared dramatically. My kids want to get in the water. In searching the forum, it was suggested that any FC below the target (12 in this case) is safe to swim in because it's buffered by the CYA. I thought the whole point of slamming was to exceed that value, so I've always slammed by treating that number as a minimum.

It is neither a minimum or a maximum, but in fact a target. A little over won't hurt, but the higher you go the more possibility you have for damaging equipment or your liner. I would guess 10-20% over is probably OK, but right now you are 50% over.

Let it come down and try not to overshoot quite so much in the next addition.

It is neither a minimum or a maximum, but in fact a target. A little over won't hurt, but the higher you go the more possibility you have for damaging equipment or your liner. I would guess 10-20% over is probably OK, but right now you are 50% over.

Let it come down and try not to overshoot quite so much in the next addition.

Solid advice. :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.