Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: High CYA test result before opening pool

1. Back To Top    #1

High CYA test result before opening pool

I am about 3 weeks from opening my pool. Like so many others, I found TFP after I got hosed by my pool store last year. I just got my Taylor K2006 kit. Just for fun I thought I would sneak out a sample of my winterized pool water and found out what my CYA level is with my pool at about 68% of its water level. I got somewhere around 130ppm even diluting the sample and restesting. Granted it was my first time doing the test ( I work in a lab so I have some skills ). Anyway, I got a little overzealous last fall when I winterized and I think I put in 2 quarts of Polyquat 60. Is it possible that it could be skewing my readings high for CYA. I wonder because last spring when I opened the pool, the store tested and said I had very little CYA and sold me whatever. I put it in like a good boy, but never tested it. I found TFP site shortly after that and used TriChlor maybe one 3" stick per week. Mostly used liquid chlorine. So I don't think I should have that much CYA but....

Current Test Results:
    FC = 0
    Alk = 270
    CYA = 130
    pH = 7.8
    27' above ground
    Hayward sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: High CYA test result before opening pool

Welcome to TFP!

No the poly would not skew the test. However, you can not really get good test if the water has not been circulated.

Well, whatever the pool store told you to put in plus the Trichlor could certainly have made the CYA high.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the response. I should not have been so antsy for testing. I just wanted to get the drop on it before I top it off on opening day. I wonder if I should try and drain a few inches out the day before I start to refill just to be proactive.
    27' above ground
    Hayward sand filter

4. Back To Top    #4

Given the high reading, draining some would make sense. You might want to drain down so it is only 1/3 full. Then after filling it should be around 40-50ppm.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Sounds like a plan. Thanks for the help. I might try the CYA test once more just to be sure before I do, but water is cheaper than chlorine.
    27' above ground
    Hayward sand filter

6. Back To Top    #6

Don't mean to sidetrack the thread, but does this mean you should run pump for awhile (for example, overnight) then test CYA?

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Welcome to TFP!

No the poly would not skew the test. However, you can not really get good test if the water has not been circulated.

Well, whatever the pool store told you to put in plus the Trichlor could certainly have made the CYA high.
    20 X 40 33k gallon igp, with vinyl liner. Pentair DE Filter. Jandy 2HP Pool Pump. Currently shopping for automatic pool cleaner...

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

You should run your pump for a while before doing any test.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

No. In most systems an hour or so is enough to get your water circulated. A smaller pump might be a couple of hours but that would probably be overkill for most pools
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks, appreciate it.
    20 X 40 33k gallon igp, with vinyl liner. Pentair DE Filter. Jandy 2HP Pool Pump. Currently shopping for automatic pool cleaner...