Advice on pump + motor replacement

gakran

Aug 27, 2007
I have an inground pool with spa that cascades into the pool. It has a main pump and spa pump.

I had a motor go out on the Hayward Superpump II for the spa bubbles, but I could not read the motor label. Based on the pump model#, it should use a 2 HP motor.
I bought the correct motor, but it is slightly longer than the original, and almost impossible to maneuver in place due to the pump location.
I then checked the old impeller model #, and it is a 1.5 HP impeller for a different pump.

After wrestling with this pump for a day, I am tempted just to replace the whole pump (current is probably 25 years old, glued in), and use threaded connections to the PVC. I do not know who installed this pump/motor combination, but I assume they downsized the motor due to the physical space constraints.

How should I size the new pump? Will a new 1.5 HP Superpump have the same flow as the old pump with the downsized motor? If I want to go with a 2 HP, do I need to worry about the spa pipes handling the increased flow? Do I need to worry about the wire gauge ( it’s a 230V hook up)?

Thanks.

The problem is the original pump motor was probably a uprated motor, meaning a 2hp uprate has the same total hp as a 1.5 full rate. The A.O. Smith motor replacement is a bit longer than the Centurion model. The Hayward Superpump will not produce enough flow for your jets because it's considered a medium head pump. Hayward model SP3015EEAZ would be the model your looking for, which should be an easier installation for you.

The problem is the original pump motor was probably a uprated motor, meaning a 2hp uprate has the same total hp as a 1.5 full rate. The A.O. Smith motor replacement is a bit longer than the Centurion model. The Hayward Superpump will not produce enough flow for your jets because it's considered a medium head pump. Hayward model SP3015EEAZ would be the model your looking for, which should be an easier installation for you.

Thanks for the response. SP3015EEAZ should be my choice for replacement. If I simply want to replace the motor:
The pump model # is SP 3015 X 20 EE
The impeller model # is SP 3015-C (not on this pump's part list)
The remaining part of the label on the motor is attached. The pump is ~ 9 3/4 " long.

What motor should I buy if I keep the old pump? The bubbles were fine, but I would prefer to increase vs decrease.

IMG_1132.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.