Hayward sand filter tank waste port PVC options/hoses? shut off valve?

I'm mid construction of swapping out my old intex sand pump for this new hayward 21" with 1.5hp pump..

The waste port on my old intex had a cap that fit over the waste hole.. the new hayward didnt come with such a thing..

I found this pic on here of one possible pvc arrangement to at least redirect the flow and/or attach a hose to the end (slip on with clamp maybe?)..
7fce10b4-0df2-4bba-9e5b-0d0d9d3dd8af_zps0166d4cf.jpg

I'm not sure if ill need to attach a hose, depending on how strong the new waste stream is when it exits but i may.. i'd want to add maybe a 6 foot hose extension.. not sure if the hoses (not using) that came with the hayward could be used or if id need to buy some "flat" hose to attach.

If i route the pvc as shown, seems there will still be no way to shut off the port just in case of leakage? Should i add a ball valve to this pvc arrangement or are there other options i havent thought of? I see some have some sort of plunger shut off valve on them as well.

I'm thinking ill just add the ball valve close to the port maybe 6" away and extend pvc in the best direction, maybe add a slip on hose to the mix later if need be.

Thanks in advance

I wouldn't add a valve. If you forget to open it and put the handle in the backwash or waste position you might have issues. A leak there is a result of a gasket failure that needs to be fixed anyway.

As far as a hose, you will definitely want something. It will spew a lot of water. PVC is the best option, at least initially. If you can run it underground or into a drain, so much the better.

I wouldn't add a valve. If you forget to open it and put the handle in the backwash or waste position you might have issues. A leak there is a result of a gasket failure that needs to be fixed anyway.

As far as a hose, you will definitely want something. It will spew a lot of water. PVC is the best option, at least initially. If you can run it underground or into a drain, so much the better.
Ah that makes sense. Originally i did think about pvc'ing in the ground a really long pipe system to my drain (which is all the way at the front porch of my house), but this would require some 50 feet and part of it goes up hill, so not practical at all. With the only intex i just let it blast into my manually created ditch that goes around the pool/deck (with stones covering the area).. when i lowered levels to the outlets last year, i had to stop the flow for a few minutes before continuing as my ditch was starting to overflow and would have headed to the neighbors driveway before long.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.