Atlanta, GA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Just to emphasize importance of testing I took water sample to LPS today. By my testing earlier this week I have CYA of 50 and CH of 230. LPS #1 confirmed these numbers for me on sunday being within 10ppm on each. Today I took to different LPS #2 who says my CYA is ZERO and CH is 60. She tells me because the sample is older than 1 hours the numbers all all wrong. I ask her where the calcium goes and where the CYA goes and she says it disappears after an hour in the plastic bottle. Note before my first LPS test the sample sat for 2 days in the bottle. The FC, Phos, pH, and TA all were very close to my other measurements.

Anyway I've about had it with these guys. Not even worth the gas to drive there. (note I am dealing with a SWG cell thats not working and only went to lps to double check my salt levels-different story). Warning to other newbies get good testing and don't waste your time relying on LPS or most all "pool guys".

If you need to check your salt levels, get a K-1766 salt test kit. It's ~$25 and will last you several seasons. It is the most accurate way to measure salt levels, period. It's also a must have in my opinion for SWG pools because it is the only way to properly diagnose an SWG cell when you think something is wrong with it.

Good to share, thank you.

For those new to pools thinking "how can the pool store be so wrong?" I can promise most stores never calibrate their equipment and run quality control samples daily. In a laboratory setting where patient samples are tested they typically run calibrations twice per day and then quality control samples 2-3 times per day to ensure the machine is testing as designed (depends on machine). Stores don't do this and won't know if they are accurately testing. If I owned a pool store I'd print and post my daily calibration and control results and explain to people why I know my machine is accurate. I've never seen this though. I should mention that a pool store (or person knowledgeable about testing) will point out that it is not necessary to be as accurate as lab testing. This is true since we're not dealing with peoples' health. That being said it is clear the store machines are so off there needs to be more done they most currently do.

Last edited:
.....This is true since we're not dealing with peoples' health.

If you think about it, you are dealing with people's health though. Look at all the nasty baddies you can get from unsanitary water. :)

Is it as serious as a hospital? No, of course not. But I like to make sure my children and wife (and myself of course) are swimming only in the cleanest water possible!

(And I'm just harassing you here, no worries. :) )

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.