Brem254

Dec 8, 2022
Central Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Thank you for this forum, really helpful so far!
New pebble plaster build, filled the first week of Dec. Tested in mid-Dec, and values were normal. I was supposed to have a pool maintenance for 60 days post-fill, but not sure if that is truly happening. Either way, my TF-Pro came in two weeks ago and I've been doing my own testing (and taking a sample to our LPS company). I guess I need to do the LPS print out for warranty purposes. Luckily, they've been almost identical to my testing over the past two weeks.

I'm using the PoolMath app. The second picture (image0) is the LPS and my own testing last week. Then, I added chemicals as suggested (to some degree). Then, testing came back as the other photo (image1) today from the LPS and I plan on doing my own testing today/tomorrow. I'm seeing the calcium as pretty low. But the suggested amount is crazy - 57lbs of Calcium Chloride to reach the target. Any suggestions about the calcium (or other numbers)? Thank you!

Attachments

• image1.png
    image1.png
    53 KB · Views: 19
  • image0.png
    image0.png
    53.9 KB · Views: 20
Welcome to TFP.

What calcium target are you using?

57 lbs of calcium chloride will add 245 ppm to your 19,000 gallon pool and put your CH around 400. Around 300 will be fine at the lower end of the range.

What is the pH, TA, and CH of your fill water?

Your FC is too low. With CYA 40 using liquid chlorine your minimum that your FC never drops below should be 3 and your target should be 5-7. See FC/CYA Levels

Reactions: Brem254
Welcome to TFP.

What calcium target are you using?

57 lbs of calcium chloride will add 245 ppm to your 19,000 gallon pool and put your CH around 400. Around 300 will be fine at the lower end of the range.

What is the pH, TA, and CH of your fill water?

Your FC is too low. With CYA 40 using liquid chlorine your minimum that your FC never drops below should be 3 and your target should be 5-7. See FC/CYA Levels
Target of FC is 5 like you said. I've just been scared to "over do" the chemicals so I'm going slowly. Does it matter that the water temp isn't too high so not too worried about any growth? We just breached ~50* recently.

Target calcium is 450 based on the average target (350-550ppm) provided by the ideal level in the link here: What Are My Ideal Pool Levels?

Is that too high? New plaster pool so I just don't want to leach from the plaster with a low number. LPS doesn't seem concerned with the current level.

No idea on the fill water, but will test that when I can.

Target of FC is 5 like you said. I've just been scared to "over do" the chemicals so I'm going slowly
If you are going to overdo *anything*, foul up and overdo chlorine. You are safe and have leeway up to and including SLAM FC (40% of your CYA..... 16FC for the current 40 CYA). There is little to no leeway below target and its a one way ticket to Swampville.
Does it matter that the water temp isn't too high so not too worried about any growth? We just breached ~50* recently.
It definitely isn't hurting you with low growth at the moment. Still tho. Why risk a problem ? :)

Target calcium is 450 based on the average target (350-550ppm) provided by the ideal level in the link here: What Are My Ideal Pool Levels?

Is that too high? New plaster pool so I just don't want to leach from the plaster with a low number. LPS doesn't seem concerned with the current level.

No idea on the fill water, but will test that when I can.
Knowing the fill baseline is key here. Many struggle with rising CH and if your fill water has high CH, you want to delay the need to drain as long as possible. If so, it will become 'ideal' on its own soon enough.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.