Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Glass Beads: Do they change the overall color?

1. Back To Top    #1

Glass Beads: Do they change the overall color?

We are trying to decide if we want to add blue blend glass beads to the pool finish we picked (most likely pebble sheen aqua blue). Would the overall water color change because of the glass beads? More blue? More intense? Or is it just a sparkling effect we can expect? Thank you for any input in advance.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Glass Beads: Do they change the overall color?

In a normal application no. If you overloaded on all Blue beads say, then yes it would. Otherwise, just the effect you mention.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you! That's good to know

4. Back To Top    #4

How much more do glass beads cost? I love the thought of more bling! Can it be done with a pebble finish?
    37.5x17' 19.5k gal Shotcrete 3.5-7' w/sunshelf, 18" 7' spa with stone, Stonescapes Tropics Blue w/iridescent mini glass beads and abalone, Hayward Ecostar VS pump, Swimclear cartridge 200 sq ft, 40k SWG, Pro Logic automation, 3 Colorlogic lights (2 in pool, 1 in spa), 2 LED bubblers, 4' LED sheer decent on raised wall, Hayward 400k BTU heater, 1500 sq ft Silver Travertine French pattern deck, Lightstream tile, 34x56 Mansard screen cage

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by ShantellyLace View Post
    How much more do glass beads cost? I love the thought of more bling! Can it be done with a pebble finish?
    We were quoted 4k to add the glass beads to our Pebblesheen. I believe the shells/shimmering sea were much cheaper at around $500 for us.

6. Back To Top    #6

Oh wow! Looks like the glass tile will have to be bling enough! Thx for sharing!
    37.5x17' 19.5k gal Shotcrete 3.5-7' w/sunshelf, 18" 7' spa with stone, Stonescapes Tropics Blue w/iridescent mini glass beads and abalone, Hayward Ecostar VS pump, Swimclear cartridge 200 sq ft, 40k SWG, Pro Logic automation, 3 Colorlogic lights (2 in pool, 1 in spa), 2 LED bubblers, 4' LED sheer decent on raised wall, Hayward 400k BTU heater, 1500 sq ft Silver Travertine French pattern deck, Lightstream tile, 34x56 Mansard screen cage

7. Back To Top    #7

Shantelly-- Hard to answer that question. You need to get prices of all the colors you are interested in... those without glass beads and those that come with them. And see what just adding the beads costs. To add it to Pebble Tech, we were quoted several thousand versus $350 for hand cast abalone shells.

One of the reasons we went with Wet Edge over Pebble Tech is that the 2 colors of Prism Matrix that were Level One happened to be the ones we liked best... so we got shells & glass beads for only a little more than Tahoe Blue Pebble Tech, which is their Level One Pebble.

We found they add to the blueness of the water and the sparkle... we added extra shell, hand cast, but our finish came with the beads. Close up photo right after filling.

DSC02813.jpg

But different levels of pebble, and pebble/glass blends have different prices. Ask your PB for a price list.

DSC02816.jpg
    15k IG gunite, built 1999, RiverBend Sandler, attached spa, Dolphin S200, Pentair Triton II sand filter, Wet Edge Prism Matrix in Constellation with extra ocean shells handcast, Pentair MasterTemp 400, my remodel

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks Bwana. We are doing CL Industries pebble finish in blue pearl. I don't recall glass beads. I have read bad things about the abalone shells on here as they are organic matter and can turn a nasty color as they break down? I will check and see what PB says though hubby is like no more spending!! Lol That water is stunning!!

9. Back To Top    #9

Go with glass beads. They will never discolor, and they will outlast any finish you put them into....and be beautiful.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

10. Back To Top    #10

We were quoted (for a 100' perimeter pool, 3.5' to 7' deep): 3k to add glass beads in the mix with pebble sheen aqua blue, $750 to hand seed them. Also, we were quoted $350 to hand seed abalone. Hope this is useful info for somebody.

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by raggiosole View Post
    We were quoted (for a 100' perimeter pool, 3.5' to 7' deep): 3k to add glass beads in the mix with pebble sheen aqua blue, $750 to hand seed them. Also, we were quoted $350 to hand seed abalone. Hope this is useful info for somebody.

We had glass beads added to Tahoe blue pebbletec. I think the beads were around $1700. They mixed them in with the pebbles.
    IG Gunite 20x40 pool with Pebbletec finish (Tahoe blue with luminous glass in mixed jade); Pentair DE Filter and Pump; Intellibrite LED lights; RayPac 8350 Heat and Cool Heat Pump; NPT Arctic Ice glass tile; Coverstar autocover; Cambridge Renaissance Pavers in Onyx Lite; bluestone coping.

12. Back To Top    #12

We are looking to do beads as well (Puerto Rican Blend) just wondering which color beads are the best if I'm trying to get a vibrant medium blue color?
    I would like to stay away from green color water and beads that will make it green

current build<--free form gunite 34x21 18k gallons 4ft-7ft deep,Pentair 3HP VSP, wisperflo 2hp, 520 cartridge filter, 400k heater, ez touch 8 with screen logic, ic40 swg. 4ft sheer decent, 2 led deck jets, 5 globrite leds,rock spa waterfall. Mocha travertine deck, noche coping. Tropics blue custom mix with LOTS of beads and shells

13. Back To Top    #13

I had abalone in the previous finish-- a Diamond Brite white plaster that the previous owner put in. At nineteen years, they were still sparkling and never discolored. Maybe it depends on the type of shell used or the chemistry of the pool water?

Don't know, but do know I'm so glad we went with the shells... they sparkle like crazy in the sun... so pretty.
    15k IG gunite, built 1999, RiverBend Sandler, attached spa, Dolphin S200, Pentair Triton II sand filter, Wet Edge Prism Matrix in Constellation with extra ocean shells handcast, Pentair MasterTemp 400, my remodel

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by Big Will View Post
    We are looking to do beads as well (Puerto Rican Blend) just wondering which color beads are the best if I'm trying to get a vibrant medium blue color?
    I would like to stay away from green color water and beads that will make it green

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I would go with blue; also grey and black can enhance the blue color. Stay away from greens, gold, tan, or anything brown, which will yield green.

We used jade mix which has an equal amount of blue and green plus some clear and bronze beads. But our base color is blu/green and I wanted to enhance that, not pull it more towards blue or green alone, if that makes sense.
    IG Gunite 20x40 pool with Pebbletec finish (Tahoe blue with luminous glass in mixed jade); Pentair DE Filter and Pump; Intellibrite LED lights; RayPac 8350 Heat and Cool Heat Pump; NPT Arctic Ice glass tile; Coverstar autocover; Cambridge Renaissance Pavers in Onyx Lite; bluestone coping.

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by TxBwana View Post
    Shantelly-- Hard to answer that question. You need to get prices of all the colors you are interested in... those without glass beads and those that come with them. And see what just adding the beads costs. To add it to Pebble Tech, we were quoted several thousand versus $350 for hand cast abalone shells.

One of the reasons we went with Wet Edge over Pebble Tech is that the 2 colors of Prism Matrix that were Level One happened to be the ones we liked best... so we got shells & glass beads for only a little more than Tahoe Blue Pebble Tech, which is their Level One Pebble.

We found they add to the blueness of the water and the sparkle... we added extra shell, hand cast, but our finish came with the beads. Close up photo right after filling.

DSC02813.jpg

But different levels of pebble, and pebble/glass blends have different prices. Ask your PB for a price list.

DSC02816.jpg
    That looks gorgeous!!! Ugh! I so badly want to add the beads. We were hesitant to do the shells because of the issues I had read on here (discoloration), but looking at how it shimmers is making me wonder if we should reconsider.

Do the shells have sharp edges at all?

16. Back To Top    #16

Nope, no sharp edges. The texuture is similar to an orange peel. We love it. I've heard people say things about discoloration of the shells but the plaster we had before we went to pebble had it in it for 20 years and no discoloration. The discoloration we got was due to berries off the yaupon holly tree-- which we got rid of prior to refinishing.