Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spray Decking, Opinion please!

1. Back To Top    #1

Spray Decking, Opinion please!

Spray decking/cool decking: Pattern or no pattern? Let us hear your opinion!

This will cover all of the original decking you see on the far right under pergola/cover as well as the new concrete around pool. We have chosen Autumn Tan as the color.

Thanks in advance! Here is the pic:
    https://ibb.co/kXFsd5

Played with them in photoshop quickly to help to visualize the two options...
    No Pattern: https://ibb.co/gAwyJ5
    With Pattern - tried to keep scale as accurate as i could, but not sure on the size of the actual pattern and had to overlap areas to finish it off, and do quickly so not perfect pattern.:
    https://ibb.co/fFOpQk
    18.5k gal, IG, Quartzscape Aruba Sky Caribbean, Hayward Cartridge, 2.5HP Hayward Tri-Star VS (3 - Pool/Spa, Waterfall/Slide, Weeping Rocks), Apr 2017 install, Taylor 2006 Test Kit, 6x9 Spa w/Hayward 400k BTU, Hayward Omnilogic 8, Hayward Tigershark Robot

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Spray Decking, Opinion please!

I vote no pattern. Looks too fake imo.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

I'm with Jason - no pattern. Most of the patterns look fake to me.

Having no pattern is easier to touch up if you have a woops. Easier to recoat (DYI) in several years if needed also. What brand of topcoat are you considering?
    Gene
    ​12,300 gal IG play pool - Pebbletec - built 10/1999 || Hayward S360SX 36" sand filter || Hayward Ecostar SP3400 VSP || A&A In-Floor cleaning system || Quik Water Leveler || Quik Dek-clor (limited use)
    TF-100 testkit / Speedstir - A good test kit is not an expense, it's an investment

4. Back To Top    #4

Make sure they spray the entire texture the same day. They tried to split mine over 2 days and the texture was completely different. Made them redo it and it is closer.......
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Played with them in photoshop quickly to help to visualize the two options...
    No Pattern: https://ibb.co/gAwyJ5
    With Pattern - tried to keep scale as accurate as i could, but not sure on the size of the actual pattern and had to overlap areas to finish it off, and do quickly so not perfect pattern.:
    https://ibb.co/fFOpQk

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Make sure they spray the entire texture the same day. They tried to split mine over 2 days and the texture was completely different. Made them redo it and it is closer.......
    Good point, will do, thanks for the heads up!

Thanks Jason and Gene for the votes!
    18.5k gal, IG, Quartzscape Aruba Sky Caribbean, Hayward Cartridge, 2.5HP Hayward Tri-Star VS (3 - Pool/Spa, Waterfall/Slide, Weeping Rocks), Apr 2017 install, Taylor 2006 Test Kit, 6x9 Spa w/Hayward 400k BTU, Hayward Omnilogic 8, Hayward Tigershark Robot

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

No pattern, for all the reasons previously stated.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, H400 & Heliocol Solar, Dolphin S-300, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit, Smart Home/Alexa pool control

7. Back To Top    #7

No pattern vote here.
    Also, go Autumn Tan to match your house or go light color, diluted color.
    You're in Katy TX. Don't want you to burst into flames.
    ~22k IG Vinyl (Ocean Midnight), Hayward Tristar 3200VSP, Hayward Sand Filter S3103S, Hayward 4.0 LED, TF-100, High-Iron, 7.5 ph Well Water.

8. Back To Top    #8

I vote No pattern!

UNDER CONSTRUCTION: 544 sq feet in ground shotcrete pool, 3.6' to 6' depth, stone coping. Includes: Spa elevated 18 with stacked stone, Concrete Deck
, 18 raised beam with stacked stone Waterfalls on raised beam wall, Stacked stone on firepit side, 4' Firepit, Flagstone steps to firepit area

9. Back To Top    #9

No pattern..no pattern..no pattern. Did I mention No Pattern?
    19204 Gallon L Shape with a 10X10 2nd Step Baja Ledge. Intellichlor IC-40, IntellipH, Cartridge Filter, Pentair Heater/Chiller (Heat Pump). Tons of Deck with Deck Jets. Construction Complete 6/5/17.

"If you don't measure it, you can't manage it!"

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Meowloud View Post
    No pattern vote here.
    Also, go Autumn Tan to match your house or go light color, diluted color.
    You're in Katy TX. Don't want you to burst into flames.
    Haha that is actually the exact color we chose! It does get hot here, looking forward to having our own pool!

11. Back To Top    #11

Thanks everyone for the votes, looks like everyone is for no pattern on here and it was half and half on our Facebook friends vote...some valid points on no pattern, and we have decided on no pattern. A friend mentioned it peels after a while? Is that normal? How often does spray decking need to be re-done?

Hoping the decking will be done soon so we can get the kids safety fence installed.

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by proavia View Post
    I'm with Jason - no pattern. Most of the patterns look fake to me.

Having no pattern is easier to touch up if you have a woops. Easier to recoat (DYI) in several years if needed also. What brand of topcoat are you considering?
    I asked our pool guy what brand earlier as I am not sure, but no response yet.

13. Back To Top    #13

whatever you choose, JarCar, it will be right for your family!
    ~22k IG Vinyl (Ocean Midnight), Hayward Tristar 3200VSP, Hayward Sand Filter S3103S, Hayward 4.0 LED, TF-100, High-Iron, 7.5 ph Well Water.

14. Back To Top    #14

TFP Guide

If its applied properly and maintained it can last a very long time. Mine is about 12 years now and still looks like the day it was new. But I touch up any cracks or chips as soon as they appear and apply a new top coat every few years. It will peel if you neglect it and allow water to get under the coating and lift it. If you keep it well sealed it lasts. One five gallon bucket of color top coat runs about $100. That and one afternoon every few years, rolling it on makes it like new again.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, H400 & Heliocol Solar, Dolphin S-300, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit, Smart Home/Alexa pool control

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by chiefwej View Post
    If its applied properly and maintained it can last a very long time. Mine is about 12 years now and still looks like the day it was new. But I touch up any cracks or chips as soon as they appear and apply a new top coat every few years. It will peel if you neglect it and allow water to get under the coating and lift it. If you keep it well sealed it lasts. One five gallon bucket of color top coat runs about $100. That and one afternoon every few years, rolling it on makes it like new again.
    Great to know, thank you! We will have to remember to do this!

16. Back To Top    #16

TFP Guide

What Chief said.

Mine is just over 17 years old. New top coat applied every 3-5 years. My top coat is Xcel Surfaces Top Coat - but there are others available as well.
    Gene
    ​12,300 gal IG play pool - Pebbletec - built 10/1999 || Hayward S360SX 36" sand filter || Hayward Ecostar SP3400 VSP || A&A In-Floor cleaning system || Quik Water Leveler || Quik Dek-clor (limited use)
    TF-100 testkit / Speedstir - A good test kit is not an expense, it's an investment

17. Back To Top    #17

Spray deck finished yesterday! This is Autumn tan and they did two coats. I took a picture of the bucket I saw out.

18. Back To Top    #18

TFP Guide

The product they used is made in Lakeland FL. It isn't a bad idea to have some around for touch up, and in a few years you will want a full bucket to refresh and reseal. I would ask the applicator if you can have what is left over in a bucket, and where the local supplier is.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ

19. Back To Top    #19

JarCar, that is a sexxxy cool deck there!!! It blends in and doesn't take away from the stonework of the pool.
    Seriously though, that is a great color that accents the home! How is the family liking it?

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by Meowloud View Post
    JarCar, that is a sexxxy cool deck there!!! It blends in and doesn't take away from the stonework of the pool.
    Seriously though, that is a great color that accents the home! How is the family liking it?
    Thank you! We are loving it, still some stuff to get done though and pool school.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast