Pros/cons of TFP method

I used to be that guy who threw in a large stack of tablets into the floater on Sunday afternoon and then ignored the pool until next Sunday. I had no idea back then that my CYA was going through the roof and was making my normal chlorine levels ineffective. Now that I follow TFP and use liquid chlorine my pool is cleaner and more appealing than ever. No algae issues and I only use tabs when away on vacation. The recommended test kit seemed like an excessive purchase at the time and now I can't believe I used the little cheapy kits all those years, thinking I was in control.

This thread is awesome! I think I will like this forum -- very nice sense of community.

I think I understand the appeal now. I do not want to have to deal with a pool refill more often than needed, or algae problems. I'll look into a SWG (which is actually cheaper than I was expecting).

I alluded to this in my first post, but this is a pool that was recently converted from Baquacil, so I believe the water has 0 CYA. I have ordered a TF-100 test kit so will monitor the CYA level. My assumption is that I could use the tablets for convenience until CYA hits the acceptable range, then switch to either liquid chlorine or a SWG. Does that make sense?

I built my first pool last year. It was completed near the end of December. Luckily I found TFP several months before I even started interviewing pool builders. So I have managed my pool's chemistry from day one. The only issues I've had is the new plaster mucking with my PH and trying to get the pump speed, pump runtime and my SWG dialed in so my TC is stable. My pool is crystal clear and has been since December. As for algae, the only reason I even know what it looks like is from the pictures I've seen on TFP from people that don't follow the TFP method. :D

These days, my numbers are pretty much dialed in. I check my chemistry 2 or 3 times a week. And I keep MA on hand and have to add a little bit every week or so to get the PH down a little.

You will need to check the FC daily if you are going to let the CYA build up from puck use alone. Sunlight and organic matter in the pool will use up FC quickly, and FC can be very harsh on skin, hair, and swimsuits without a small amount of CYA to act as a buffer.

I would recommend you add enough CYA to bring the pool up to 20ppm, and then use the pucks until you get to the 30-40ppm range. If you decide to add an SWG to your pool the CYA recommendation is a little higher.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.