Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Concrete Walkway Question

1. Back To Top    #1

Exclamation Concrete Walkway Question

Hey All,

My pool build is 2/3 of the way finished...the builder was able to install a walkway when the concrete decking was being installed. I didn't expect it to look the way it does but I don't want to fight him on it. My question to you all is...do you see any issues with the walkway? It is build on top of the ground and there is no support on either side. We have the landscaper added 2-3' of egg sized river rock on these sides but is that enough to help it from moving? Will it move or am I just being a newbie? There's already a few hairline cracks but he informed us it will crack regardless of what he does.

Thanks, Chris

Picture.jpg
    Last edited by simo711; 04-26-2017 at 08:18 AM. Reason: Picture Added
    14K IG 12'x30' Rectangle Vinyl Salt Water Pool
    Hayward Aqua Rite AQR15 PL-PLUS
    Hayward SP2603VSP Super Pump VS
    Hayward 300lb Sand Filter
    Dolphin Active 30i AND Skim Devil Camio SX15

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Concrete Walkway Question

Got a pic?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Added picture to original post. Thanks for the reminder Dave!

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Does not look all that bad if your are worried about it moving side to side I doubt it will in any noticeable manner. It will crack where the control joints are but that is what they are there for. Did they put wire, rebar, or fiber in the concrete that will have the biggest impact on the durability.
    12,300 Gallon, IG PebbleFina, 3 ft sheer, 2 Jandy nicheless LED lights, Jandy Pro 1.5HP VS pump (A.O. Smith Motor), PB4-60 Booster pump, Polaris 280, Jandy cv340 cartridge filter, Zodiac Z4 control panel W/iAquaLink, Stenner pumps for chlorine & MA connected to WiOn WiFi switches, TF-100. You can support TFP with AmazonSmile just click the link!

5. Back To Top    #5

I wasn't there when they did the work. I'll be sure to ask the builder today.

6. Back To Top    #6

Where exactly do you expect it to go? Concrete is heavy and that is a large mass of concrete. Will it Crack, probably, but most concrete cracks eventually. If it looks aesthetically pleasing to you, then I wouldn't worry about it.
    Pool done!! (backyard = work in progress) 32' x 19' inground freeform with 7' spa, baja step w/ (2) bubblers, stonescapes mini pebble finish, rock waterfall feature, 12" raised bond beam, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflo feature pump, (3) 5G Color LED's, FNS + DE 60, 400K Master Temp, Easytouch 8 w/ remote, Intellichlor IC40, Vision Classic Ceramic Kamado smoker, Margaritaville DM1000!!! Party Coming Soon!!
    TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir

7. Back To Top    #7

Looks perfect to me. Add some landscaping material on either side and your golden. Better than needing to dig out ground to match height of sidewalk
    18'x36' vinyl - 24k gal - Intelliflo 3hp VSP - Pentair C&C 420 cartridge filter - IC40 Salt - EasyTouch 8 - ScreenLogic - Raypak 406btu NG heater - Intellibrite 5G ligths - 4 deck jets - sheer descent - X-Stream Slide 2 - TF100 kit - opened spring 2017

8. Back To Top    #8

Looks good... it' not going anywhere. It will crack both on the control joints and eventually in other places.

Also, water it for the first 7 days, especially if temps are warm. That helps with cracking in the glaze on top.

9. Back To Top    #9

That's my plan. Didn't realize landscaping and fence would cost half as much as the pool. It'll be worth it in a few weeks! Thanks.

10. Back To Top    #10

If it is free, you're golden! I wouldn't complain about that walkway at all, unless it diverts water or hinders the environment. If it isn't free, did they have a gravel base and metal/rebar in it? Enjoy is what I think, good expansion joints!
    ~22k IG Vinyl (Ocean Midnight), Hayward Tristar 3200VSP, Hayward Sand Filter S3103S, Hayward 4.0 LED, TF-100, High-Iron, 7.5 ph Well Water.

11. Back To Top    #11

Free? Would you propose it a different way, if it was paid for? It is part of the build, not free I imagine. Hinders the environment, its a sidewalk?! Not trying to be difficult, just trying to understand the risk. It was poured high, so that the final restoration could be done properly instead of trying to dig down to the new sidewalk and cause water pooling on it.
    16' x 32' (21100 gal), vinyl, 1.5 hp Hayward SuperPump,
    Tagelus TA60/60D Sand Filter, Raypak 399K Digital Heater, TF-100

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Pool Tool View Post
    Free? Would you propose it a different way, if it was paid for? It is part of the build, not free I imagine. Hinders the environment, its a sidewalk?! Not trying to be difficult, just trying to understand the risk. It was poured high, so that the final restoration could be done properly instead of trying to dig down to the new sidewalk and cause water pooling on it.
    Tool, with "Hinders the environment" is not what a lot of people may construe. It isn't hug a tree hinder... it's the natural flow of water. If it hinders the environment in the way the natural run off of rain may go. If you have a build up of water on a side, that will definitely effect the concrete.

If there was ever water on the RIGHT side of the walkway/picture, then a small drain would be nice. Nothing is free. Not even Chicago.
    Last edited by Meowloud; 04-27-2017 at 11:25 AM. Reason: EDIT: I actually looked harder at the picture.
    ~22k IG Vinyl (Ocean Midnight), Hayward Tristar 3200VSP, Hayward Sand Filter S3103S, Hayward 4.0 LED, TF-100, High-Iron, 7.5 ph Well Water.

13. Back To Top    #13

Gotcha. Looks like grade falls off pretty significantly from right to left in the pic. Hopefully its just that small area in between the concrete portions that would drain over the concrete walk, which if contoured right is fine. Hard to tell what grade is doing further up, but you are right - don't want to build a sidewalk dam in the yard.
    16' x 32' (21100 gal), vinyl, 1.5 hp Hayward SuperPump,
    Tagelus TA60/60D Sand Filter, Raypak 399K Digital Heater, TF-100

14. Back To Top    #14

It would be nice to see pictures on the BEFORE. Pictures, pictures, pictures. People can't take enough pictures. It isn't as if they have to get the film developed Hehehe.

I am learning as well. It is hard to remember... PICTURES!

15. Back To Top    #15

Thanks everyone for the discussion. My plan is to lay 3 feet of river rock (3" deep) next to the pool decking. On the right side of the walkway, we planned on adding more river rock but last night 2 inches of rain fell and water collected and poured into my garden....so....looks like raising the level up and adding sod on the right side will be best. Guess we'll add some river rock on the left side from the garden to the start of the walkway. Here's my MS Paint drawing (LINK)...pretty good, huh? Any suggestions?

16. Back To Top    #16

More pictures would be better. I do like your MS Paint Drawing.
    Can not decipher the yard and elevations.

17. Back To Top    #17

Are you worried with it being above ground vs being flush with the ground? If so that's not something to worry about. Concrete sets quickly and when it's fluid there are forms in place to keep it from flowing sideways. Once it's set the forms are removed. The only way you're going to have lateral movement is if you drive a bobcat or something laterally into the walkway.

Concrete can withstand a LOT of force, and it doesn't move. Think bridge pilings or piers. With trucks on top the concrete doesn't just explode outwards, and there's no shell holding it together.

The walkway looks great. In terms of durability it should last far longer than you'd want it to last unless the pour was a poor quality mix.
    In-ground 15x30 concrete pool with vinyl liner
    Triton II sand filter, Hayward Pump, Raypak 266 heater
    Rehab thread: Pool rehab, need advice

18. Back To Top    #18

Had a concrete guy tell me one time if you don't like cracked concrete don't use concrete. Not sure I completely agree with that statement but every house I have lived in has some form of cracks in the concrete.
    15,000 gal In-Ground Vinyl, Jacuzzi Laser Sand Filter w/ 1.5hp Pump , Polaris Cleaner w/ 1hp Pump, Taylor K-2006-C Test Kit

19. Back To Top    #19

There is NO obvious Lateral movement with concrete. Predictable, Horizontal would be niiiiice. There is ALWAYS MOVEMENT with concrete. It isn't will it crack, it is when and where it will crack. Nicely if you're lucky.
    ALSO, bridge piers are NOT Just concrete. They are a mixture of flexing plastic concrete poured very securely over time that way water intrusion doesn't compromise the flexible METAL core. ntobik.

20. Back To Top    #20

Concrete would be nice, yet more expensive than rock.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast