Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Special Pilot screw for face ring on pool light (brass or S/S?)

1. Back To Top    #1

Special Pilot screw for face ring on pool light (brass or S/S?)

I have two Pentair "SAM" (color changing) pool lights. Both stopped working a while ago. I finally got around to pulling from their niches to inspect (one is full of water the other may just be bad bulbs). I noticed when I removed the lights, that one light had a S/S face ring screw and the other had the brass screw to hold the light into the niche. The manual for these lights is full of warnings about using the "Special Pilot" screw to mount the light to the niche. I do remember that the light fixture came with two "special pilot screws", the brass one and the S/S one. But the manual doesn't say if one screw is preferred over the other. Does it matter?

Since I'm going to be replacing the bulbs I can get a new pilot screw too if need (Brass is p/n 79104800 and S/S is p/n 610355 available at Inyo Pools).

There are different face rings (a S/S one and a plastic one. Items 1 and 3) Pentair Spectrum Amerilite Parts - INYOPools.com

I have the S/S mounting ring. Should I be using a S/S pilot screw?
    20K gal In-ground pool with raised Spa overflowing into pool; two Jandy Sheer Descent waterfalls; Pentair IntelliTouch i7+3, IntelliChlor, IntelliPH, 3 SAM/SAL lights, Pentair FNS60Plus filter, two 1.0 HP WhiperFlow pumps, Jandy/Compool auto-valves, RayPak Heatpump, RayPak 406A LP spa heater, Polaris 360 PS Cleaner. Patio and deck lighting by Volt; Volt 600W landscaping transformer; Webber grilling station

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Special Pilot screw for face ring on pool light (brass or S/S?)

You can ask inyopool that question as they are our go to people for that kind of thing. I see you are getting the lights from them-nice job!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Special Pilot screw for face ring on pool light (brass or S/S?)

Thanks for your advice.
    I'm only buying the gaskets and new bulbs at this time (and a new S/S screw). I l know the bulbs are burnt out.
    But I don't know if the water that leaked into the fixture did any more damage. If the new bulbs doesn't get the lights working. I'll replace them with LED. But those darn lights are so expensive.
    20K gal In-ground pool w/spa; IntelliControl, IntelliChlor, IntelliPH (Acid-Injector), SAM/SAL lights, Pentair FNS60Plus filter, two 1.0 HP WhiperFlow pumps, Jandy/Compool auto-valves, RayPak Heatpump, Jandy Gas heater