Special Pilot screw for face ring on pool light (brass or S/S?)

CountryBumkin

Bronze Supporter
Jan 9, 2017
Orlando/FL
I have two Pentair "SAM" (color changing) pool lights. Both stopped working a while ago. I finally got around to pulling from their niches to inspect (one is full of water the other may just be bad bulbs). I noticed when I removed the lights, that one light had a S/S face ring screw and the other had the brass screw to hold the light into the niche. The manual for these lights is full of warnings about using the "Special Pilot" screw to mount the light to the niche. I do remember that the light fixture came with two "special pilot screws", the brass one and the S/S one. But the manual doesn't say if one screw is preferred over the other. Does it matter?

Since I'm going to be replacing the bulbs I can get a new pilot screw too if need (Brass is p/n 79104800 and S/S is p/n 610355 available at Inyo Pools).

There are different face rings (a S/S one and a plastic one. Items 1 and 3) Pentair Spectrum Amerilite Parts - INYOPools.com

I have the S/S mounting ring. Should I be using a S/S pilot screw?

Thanks for your advice.
I'm only buying the gaskets and new bulbs at this time (and a new S/S screw). I l know the bulbs are burnt out.
But I don't know if the water that leaked into the fixture did any more damage. If the new bulbs doesn't get the lights working. I'll replace them with LED. But those darn lights are so expensive.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.