Algaecide vs Shock

RSAnative

Gold Supporter
Bronze Supporter
May 26, 2013
Baltimore, MD
Hi All!

I got a new guy opening the pool this year (don't judge me, I will try to open myself next year) and he said he doesn't add algaecide because the shock will kill the algaecide. Fact or fiction? Does that mean need to add my own algaecide? Also, I know from being on here that most people prefer liquid chlorine and that's what I tend to use but is it ok to supplement with tabs? I can only find tabs with stabilizer and I don't want to "over stabilize" my pool.

Thanks!
Robert

Hi All!

I got a new guy opening the pool this year (don't judge me, I will try to open myself next year) and he said he doesn't add algaecide because the shock will kill the algaecide. Fact or fiction? Does that mean need to add my own algaecide? Also, I know from being on here that most people prefer liquid chlorine and that's what I tend to use but is it ok to supplement with tabs? I can only find tabs with stabilizer and I don't want to "over stabilize" my pool.

Thanks!
Robert
He is correct enough to give him a thumbs up. Not many folks know that about algaecide......chlorine only is the best way to clear your pool.

Tabs are just fine as long as you DO YOUR OWN TESTING and stop using them when appropriate. Can you test for yourself?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.