Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Solar Heating panels

1. Back To Top    #1

Solar Heating panels

Hi all,

Although I live in San Antonio, and it is hot here, my pool has a lot of shade from the number of trees I have in my yard. We have thinned them out some, but still have quite a bit of cover. I want to look into heating options. Last summer, the warmest my pool got was 84, which is fine, but was not there long. Right now it is 70, and kids are swimming, but a bit cold for me! I would love to add a little warmth early/late in the season.

I am very cheap (aren't we all) but would like to heat my pool if I can. What about solar panels the roof? My filter is on the side of the house and I have a big rood facing West where I can get a lot of sun. What kind of cost am I realistically looking at? With the panels and plumbing, what is my all-in cost? Also, would I have to upgrade my motor?

thanks for any info you can provide.

thanks,
    Paul
    -Paul
    15k gallon IG plaster, 26x39 at widest points, sort of shaped like the great state of Texas!
    Pentair 342001 SuperFlo VS Variable Speed 1.5HP motor
    Tagelus TA-60 Sand Filter, Polaris 280, TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Solar Heating panels

I'm in the same boat with the trees. We added as many panels as we could on the pool hut and then added a solar cover and heat pump last fall. I researched and purchased my solar panels from Solar Direct and did a DIY install on my solar panels and heat pump. There is quite a bit of discussion on pool heating and pics in my build thread, link in sig.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

The price varies with the installer, the panels and the automation so its difficult to estimate. I would call around and get some estimates. Its well worth the time.

I am with you on the trees.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks. I see on solar direct, I can get the package, and depends on # of panels. Pretty clear. What about motor? I have a 1.5 HP now. is that enough to push water trough the panels?
    -Paul
    15k gallon IG plaster, 26x39 at widest points, sort of shaped like the great state of Texas!

5. Back To Top    #5

Your pump will do fine.
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

If you try to size your panel sq ft coverage to 60% of the surface area the better, but that being said, even 80 sq feet will gain you some temps. It's a very simple DIY that just needs some planning. Keep that solar cover on when not swimming as well.

7. Back To Top    #7

Hey pooldv, I see you have five panels. Is that enough? I have enough roof space to get more. Wondering what a good # is to start. My pool looks to be about your size, just not as deep (deep end only about 5.5 feet)
    -Paul

8. Back To Top    #8

My roof is maxed out. I would add more panels if I could. I have 240sf of panels and 700sf of pool. My pool is 18ish x 41 and is 3.5x5x4 play pool and is a hair under 20k gallons. It is generally recommended to have 50-100% coverage. Being in a warm climate 50% is probably a good starting point.
    TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

So I searched around in San Antonio for some pros. This guys is coming tomorrow to give me a bid. I am thinking it will be a lot of money, but will give me a top-end cost and get some ideas on how to set it up. I will post details when I get them. Talked to owner for about 10 minutes. Super cool dude though, and this is all he does.

http://www.sunrisesolartx.com/
    -Paul