Installing Heater & Plumbing (need help)

Apr 16, 2013
New pool owner, bought my first house with a 40K gallon money pit in the back! I am looking forward to figuring this stuff out but a little overwhelmed so your advice is appreciated.
Background: Pool installed ~30 years ago FOXX Pools. Have been through a hand full of liners and a couple heaters, no heater for the last 10 years. They were using Chlorine gas to shock pool weekly so I think they weren’t getting good life out of heater. I purchased Raypak 400btu heater (PR406AENC) and I am hoping to install plumbing and electrical myself to save some much needed cash. I will hire out gas plumbing if we can’t use existing buried line.
Questions:
1. Currently my PVC piping is all 1.5” suction and return lines. The heater I bought says 2”CPVC should I re-pipe what I can into 2”? (see photo) Would you only re-pipe downstream of pump?
2. I would like to install a by-pass for the heater so if I shock pool or chemistry isn’t right I am not degrading the copper heat exchanger. Sound right?
3. Looking to purchase ball valves, any recommendation given cost constraints?
4. I was going to source PVC at big box store, any issues with that?
5. Looking at my photo would you move anything or any other comments & suggestions would be appreciated.

Attachments

• pump.jpg
    pump.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 35
Questions:
1. Currently my PVC piping is all 1.5” suction and return lines. The heater I bought says 2”CPVC should I re-pipe what I can into 2”? (see photo) Would you only re-pipe downstream of pump?
2. I would like to install a by-pass for the heater so if I shock pool or chemistry isn’t right I am not degrading the copper heat exchanger. Sound right?
5. Looking at my photo would you move anything or any other comments & suggestions would be appreciated.

I would put the pipe from the pump to the heater and then from the heater to the ground in 2" CPVC

Shocking the pool is not what causes damage to heater cores its ph and alkalinity. I would recommend a bypass.

Generally ball valves are not a good idea unless you want the expensive ones. They tend to lock in place and fail after only a few years. Jandy valves are better because they don't have that issue.

If you want CPVC you are probably going to have to go to a plumbing supply house. Where I am they are often less expensive than the big box guys.

It looks good with the unions .

New pool owner, bought my first house with a 40K gallon money pit in the back! I am looking forward to figuring this stuff out but a little overwhelmed so your advice is appreciated.
Background: Pool installed ~30 years ago FOXX Pools. Have been through a hand full of liners and a couple heaters, no heater for the last 10 years. They were using Chlorine gas to shock pool weekly so I think they weren’t getting good life out of heater. I purchased Raypak 400btu heater (PR406AENC) and I am hoping to install plumbing and electrical myself to save some much needed cash. I will hire out gas plumbing if we can’t use existing buried line.
Questions:

1. Yes you can buy a reducer and use all 1.5" PVC. It's done all the time. Will not cause any issues.
2. Yes install a bypass.
3. Ball valves unless you open and close them say a few times a year will eventually become hard to turn and thus inoperable. A few bucks more for the Jandy and you won't regret it.
4. Big box stores use the dame brands PVC and many pool supply houses use.
5. Where is your gas line coming in at? Just try to be neat when you run your pipes and when you glue.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.