Is a TriStar SP32900VSP too much Pump?

Mar 28, 2012
London, ON CDN
Hello everyone,

Just have a quick question about upgrading a Pump. I currently have a Hayward 3/4 HP single speed pump with 1.5 Plumbing and a 24 Inch 1.5 inch multiport sand filter. I am looking to upgrade to a VSP pump and am just wondering if the Tristar 1.85hp VSP pump might be too much pump for my 24inch sand filter. I feel like I should be going with the newer MaxFlo SP2303VSP but they seem to be hard to find around here.

Of course the Pool store guys want to sell me the Tristar SP32900VSP and tell me no problem just reduce the 2 inch union down to my 1.5 inch plumbing. My concern is the GPM for my filter is maxed at 63GPM and I could always run this pump at a lower RPM but that just seems like a work around to me.

The Maxflo SP2303VSP seems like a closer replacement to my 3/4HP current maxflo with 1.5 inch plumbing with no chance of over loading the sand filter. So am i just answering my own question here, and should go with the Maxflo? Or am I over analyzing this?

At 3450 RPM the Tristar can push 145 GPM at 10 ft and to me this seems like it will cause issues.
At 1725 RPM the Tristar can push 55 GPM at 10 ft just 8 GPM shy of the filters max 63 GPM
At 2075 RPM the Tristar can push 76 GPM at 10ft which would be over the recommended GPM for the filter which would limit my max RPM to around the 1725 RPM mark. Maybe I am looking at this data the wrong way?

A VS pump is never too big or too small. It is variable so you can set the flow rate to anything you want.

At 3450 RPM the Tristar can push 145 GPM at 10 ft and to me this seems like it will cause issues.
At 1725 RPM the Tristar can push 55 GPM at 10 ft just 8 GPM shy of the filters max 63 GPM
At 2075 RPM the Tristar can push 76 GPM at 10ft which would be over the recommended GPM for the filter which would limit my max RPM to around the 1725 RPM mark. Maybe I am looking at this data the wrong way?
At those flow rates, the head loss is going to be much more than 10' which means you will never achieve anything close to those operating points. On typical 1 1/2" plumbing that pump will produce around 64 GPM @ 68' of head & 3450 RPM.

Yes, just don't run the RPM such that the filter pressure (when clean) does not rise much above 15 PSI. That should be considered your maximum RPM but you should rarely need that much flow rate.

However, you will probably pay more for that pump than a MaxFlo VS.

Hayward Max-Flo VS Variable Speed Pump - SP2302VSP - INYOPools.com

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.