Should I add stabilizer?

Feb 25, 2017
Tampa, FL
Hi - I'm in my first year of being a pool owner and maintaining on my own. Pool is only 3 months old. I have been testing every week and it seems as though my CYA levels are continuing to decrease (from about 70 at the beginning and today tested at 40).

The other test results today are below. I'm planning to add the recommended acid to lower PH but should I also add stabilizer? Is there an issue if CYA runs low but no problem with keeping chlorine level ok?? I am only running the SWG at between 40-50 and the chlorine levels have been easily staying above 5 first thing in the morning and mostly around 7. Please let me know your thoughts! Thanks!

FC: 10
CC: 0
PH: 8.2
TA: 110
CYA: 40

Russ,

There is no problem doing what you are doing, but it is making you drive your SWCG much harder than you need too. I would guess if your CYA were in the 70 to 80 range you would be able to run your SWCG at 20 or 25% this time of year.

So, while it is not an emergency situation, I would add some more CYA when you get a chance.

In "theory" CYA does not just go away, so are you having to add a lot of water to your pool?

As a side note... I see we have very similar systems. If you don't already have ScreenLogic2, I highly recommend it.

Thanks,

Jim R.

You CYA is fine if you are able to maintain FC. The higher CYA levels suggested for SWG is at least in some part to protect the FC so the SWG does not have to work as long or as hard. The bigger question is why is the CYA coming down so quickly have you had a lot of rain and had to drain a lot of water? Does your pool have an auto fill and if so how does your water bill look at this time of year your pool should just now be using more water due to evaporation. You should have used very little water to fill over the last 3 months. If you do have an auto fill you may want to turn it off and do a bucket test just to be sure you don't have a leak in the plumbing somewhere.

Thank you for all the quick responses. I have had to add water - about 1-2 inches up about every 2 weeks. I have been running the three waterfalls almost every day all day as the pool GC suggested I run them frequently over the first few months given it's brand new. Also, we have had zero rain so maybe that is pulling the CYA levels down?

Thanks again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.