Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: any thing to know when resurfacing?

1. Back To Top    #1

any thing to know when resurfacing?

Hi
    Long time since I posted. Seems TFP method leads to same old same old, which is nice.
    Put the cover on in the Fall for leaves, took it off in the Winter so could vac from time to time. Plan worked well. Storing the cover is a pain.
    Had to back wash 20" of rain this winter.

Anyway, gonna have the old pool resurfaced in Sept
    Found a contractor, not cheap, but answers questions very well so we like him

queries
    2) tile has some deposits, just acid wash or replace it?
    3) crack in the old plaster, no leak, so just new plaster should fix?
    4) inflow pipes have no "eyes", Ok like that or should have 'em put on?
    5) pool water will go into Puget Sound; as I understand after chlorine gone or neutralized is just water; no problem for the Sound, true?
    6) acid wash fluid will also be neutralized, so no problem for the Sound, true?
    7) any reason to pay for colored plaster? just aesthetics?

and finally
    8) any things to watch out for? any things to require? any classic mistakes?

maybe too many questions, answering one and skipping the rest will still be helpful

thank you
    IG under fir trees and one cherry surrounded by grass built in 1979, 30k, plaster, old Sta-Rite HRPB30, 4.9 sq.ft, 20 GPM/sq.ft., but with new glass, new (in 2012) 1 HP WhisperFlo one speed, new (in 2013) Rainbow tab chlorinator attached at the top, old Maxi-Flo Heat Exchanger MF-260, Burnham V7 oil heater 245 MBH, new (in 2012) Compool to Easytouch, Taylor K-2005 and TF-100.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: any thing to know when resurfacing?

What happened to question 1?

2. If the grout is sound acid wash is fine.
    3. They need to chip out some and investigate it. Possibly, especially if it hasn't opened up any for a while.
    4. Eyeballs are handy for creating circular waterflow to help with skimming debris.
    5. True. That teeny, tiny bit of chlorine isn't an issue either. It will be gone in an instant.
    6. True, same as above.
    7. 100% aesthetics. I am over paying for colored plaster because the sun starts to fade it in a few years anyway. My black plaster is 60-70% gray now, particularly on horizontal surfaces. My next pool, if I ever have one will either be Aquabright or French gray quartz.
    8. You did the most important thing right, hiring a good contractor who you like and trust. It might (probably) cost more but always worth it.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks. Helpful.
    IG under fir trees and one cherry surrounded by grass built in 1979, 30k, plaster, old Sta-Rite HRPB30, 4.9 sq.ft, 20 GPM/sq.ft., but with new glass, new (in 2012) 1 HP WhisperFlo one speed, new (in 2013) Rainbow tab chlorinator attached at the top, old Maxi-Flo Heat Exchanger MF-260, Burnham V7 oil heater 245 MBH, new (in 2012) Compool to Easytouch, Taylor K-2005 and TF-100.

4. Back To Top    #4

Wow, i just noticed that you have a LOT of supporter badges over there <------- Thanks for supporting TFP!
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Colored plaster? Purely for the look, but so are a lot of the decisions regarding a pool. Are you going for a pond like natural look? Then a colored plaster can help you achieve it. If you have a very geometric pool, or like a classic look, a white plaster can be lovely. It's really just a matter of what you like. We wanted more of a pond look but also like some sparkle, so paid for a finish with pebbles, abalone, and glass pebbles. It sparkles beautifully, but did cost quite a bit more than a plain plaster would have.

If you like your old tile and it's still adhered well, you can just acid wash it and keep it. We did, saved us quite a bit of money.

Eyes help to direct the water around towards the skimmers. I would put them on, they don't cost that much.

If no leak, a patch and replaster should cure that crack.
    15k IG gunite, built 1999, RiverBend Sandler, attached spa, Dolphin S200, Pentair Triton II sand filter, Wet Edge Prism Matrix in Constellation with extra ocean shells handcast, Pentair MasterTemp 400, my remodel

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    Wow, i just noticed that you have a LOT of supporter badges over there <------- Thanks for supporting TFP!
    supporter badges?
    Plan is
    if I get a kind, helpful answer > enter $9.95 in the diary
    if I get a snotty answer > enter -$9.95 in the diary
    if I get no answer > enter $0 in the diary
    since knowledge = $$, seems only fair from time to time to send in the balance

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TxBwana View Post
    Colored plaster? Purely for the look
    thank you
    helpful

Have already found the downside of colored plaster. Have twelve family members and eight color votes.

7. Back To Top    #7

Dang, 8 votes! There's no winning that!

In addition to subtracting 9.95 for a snotty answer you can also hit the report post triangle lower left under the post box and we will give them a
    TFP Moderator

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    In addition to subtracting 9.95 for a snotty answer you can also hit the report post triangle lower left under the post box and we will give them a
    hmmm, did not know that
    will try it next time
    thanks

9. Back To Top    #9

I have a member on his way to share his picture showing how the plaster changes over time. It was very telling. He had a crack fixed in his spa. It really shows the color changes.

thanks for all of your support!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

10. Back To Top    #10

Here are his pics. Shows how much the plaster changes. He has kept his water the TFP way.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit