engrav

Gold Supporter
Platinum Supporter
Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Jul 4, 2012
Whidbey Island, WA
Hi
Long time since I posted. Seems TFP method leads to same old same old, which is nice.
Put the cover on in the Fall for leaves, took it off in the Winter so could vac from time to time. Plan worked well. Storing the cover is a pain.
Had to back wash 20" of rain this winter.

Anyway, gonna have the old pool resurfaced in Sept
Found a contractor, not cheap, but answers questions very well so we like him

queries
2) tile has some deposits, just acid wash or replace it?
3) crack in the old plaster, no leak, so just new plaster should fix?
4) inflow pipes have no "eyes", Ok like that or should have 'em put on?
5) pool water will go into Puget Sound; as I understand after chlorine gone or neutralized is just water; no problem for the Sound, true?
6) acid wash fluid will also be neutralized, so no problem for the Sound, true?
7) any reason to pay for colored plaster? just aesthetics?

and finally
8) any things to watch out for? any things to require? any classic mistakes?

maybe too many questions, answering one and skipping the rest will still be helpful

thank you

What happened to question 1? :)

2. If the grout is sound acid wash is fine.
3. They need to chip out some and investigate it. Possibly, especially if it hasn't opened up any for a while.
4. Eyeballs are handy for creating circular waterflow to help with skimming debris.
5. True. That teeny, tiny bit of chlorine isn't an issue either. It will be gone in an instant.
6. True, same as above.
7. 100% aesthetics. I am over paying for colored plaster because the sun starts to fade it in a few years anyway. My black plaster is 60-70% gray now, particularly on horizontal surfaces. My next pool, if I ever have one will either be Aquabright or French gray quartz.
8. You did the most important thing right, hiring a good contractor who you like and trust. It might (probably) cost more but always worth it.

Colored plaster? Purely for the look, but so are a lot of the decisions regarding a pool. Are you going for a pond like natural look? Then a colored plaster can help you achieve it. If you have a very geometric pool, or like a classic look, a white plaster can be lovely. It's really just a matter of what you like. We wanted more of a pond look but also like some sparkle, so paid for a finish with pebbles, abalone, and glass pebbles. It sparkles beautifully, but did cost quite a bit more than a plain plaster would have.

If you like your old tile and it's still adhered well, you can just acid wash it and keep it. We did, saved us quite a bit of money.

Eyes help to direct the water around towards the skimmers. I would put them on, they don't cost that much.

If no leak, a patch and replaster should cure that crack.

Wow, i just noticed that you have a LOT of supporter badges over there <------- Thanks for supporting TFP!

supporter badges?
Plan is
if I get a kind, helpful answer > enter $9.95 in the diary
if I get a snotty answer > enter -$9.95 in the diary
if I get no answer > enter $0 in the diary
since knowledge = $$, seems only fair from time to time to send in the balance
:)

- - - Updated - - -

Colored plaster? Purely for the look

thank you
helpful

Have already found the downside of colored plaster. Have twelve family members and eight color votes. :)

Dang, 8 votes! There's no winning that!

In addition to subtracting 9.95 for a snotty answer you can also hit the report post triangle lower left under the post box and we will give them a :hammer:

I have a member on his way to share his picture showing how the plaster changes over time. It was very telling. He had a crack fixed in his spa. It really shows the color changes.

:hug: thanks for all of your support!

Kim:kim:

dbtgallery.php

dbtgallery.php

Here are his pics. Shows how much the plaster changes. He has kept his water the TFP way.

Kim:kim:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.