Questions for After Refill is Complete

Apr 20, 2017
Phoenix
I convinced the powers that be that we needed to drain and refill our pool to bring CyA and calcium levels down in our pool. I drained yesterday, and am almost done filling it up using three hoses. In any event, I have a couple questions regarding setting pool up once it's filled.

I know the first step is to test everything once it is filled. I just got my Taylor K-2006C so I will be using that once it's filled. Since my cya and chlorine levels will virtually be zero and I didn't want algae to grow, I put in my chlorine float with some pucks once the pool was halfway. That way I can get rid of the tablets and raise a little cya until I start using bleach. I also have two 1lb packets of Triclor powder that I use to use as shock. I plan to ditch the pucks and these packets, however i figured I could dump those in once the pool can be circulated to raise initial chlorine levels and add some more cya.Once I do that, I would then test and add any remaining cya I need from the stabilizer and exclusively use bleach.

Does this approach seem reasonable or should I still not add the triclor powder? Also, how long after adding triclor powder and using the pucks will my proper cya levels show up on my test? I want to make sure my reading is accurate before adding any extra cya.

Lastly, my pool does not have a return that I can tie the cya powder to. All my returns are in the floor cleaning jets. Is there another method of adding stabilizer other than placing it in a sock and putting it near the pump return? If not, I may just pay the extra and get the liquid version.

Thanks for for your feedback.

I would have saved the pucks and trichlor for summer away times and just used bleach and granular CYA to get where I wanted to be initially. Quicker! Anyway, assume the CYA is in your water whenever the pucks dissolve. I just add granular CYA in a knee high stocking about 18-24 ozs. at a time in the skimmer. Just don't block the flow and keep it running. Shouldn't take too long in Phoenix with warm water! That liquid is just too expensive when you can do this in a day.

What he said ^

One thing to remember: below 30, you're not going to get a CYA reading. So don't test and wonder where it went. It's there. If you plug your pool size into poolmath and then scroll waaay down to Effects of Adding Chemicals, you'll be able to see how much CYA each 8 oz puck or 16 oz bag will add. Ignore the rest, just look at the CYA addition. pH is an estimate, and can be wildly off. That will tell you how much is in the pool without wasting time testing it. You can add from there.

Ok I got my pool filled and wanted some feedback.

I brought my FC levels up to 5.5 using liquid chlorine. I added one gallon of the liquid stabilizer to get some cya in there quickly. I did my first cya reading an hour after and my test still didn't show any cya. I know it's in there, so based upon the pool calculator I am estimated my cya level then is 21. So now, I am adding 32 oz of the gradual sanitizer through the skimmer and a sock. Once dissolved, I estimate my CYA around 35. I know I could probably go up to 50 since I live in AZ, but since high cya is the reason for draining my pool I'm worried about adding too much right away.

I also added some muriatic acid and dropped my ph down to 8.0 to 7.2. I'm aerating to bring ph up more so I can add more acid. I'm doing this to bring my alkalinity down from 175 to 100.

Anything I'm doing wrong or should also be doing? Also, what should my FC range be while I try and get my cya up but not registering on my test? How often should I be testing everything in beginning? I am thinking once in morning and once when sun goes down for FC, ALK and PH. Then test my CyA later in the week?

You might be overdoing things a little, but that's pretty common when you first get a real test kit.
madscientist.jpg

Go to poolmath and set up your pool surface and your chlorine source and then it will give you recommended ranges for FC based on CYA. Just plug in the calculated CYA value for now. Don't waste a lot of effort lowering TA. Just keep the pH down and the TA will drop along with it quick enough. With that TA, pH will likely rise fast even without aeration.

Thanks Richard. I know I'm way overdoing it and have an OCD mind when I get into something new. I mostly want to know how much chlorine loss should I expect with a pool in the sun all day. It's already 95+ here today, and don't want my low cya levels cause me to go below my recommended FC level.

So after doing the TFPC for a few days, I have a few additional questions.

My current test is:
FC: 4.5
CC: 0
PH: 7.2
ALK: 125
CyA: 35

According to the pool calculator, my FC range should be between 3-7. When adding bleach or liquid chlorine, do people find it best to shoot a little higher than 7 and let the sun bring it down to the range after a few hours in the sun? My thought is to find how much I need to add to get me back to 7 and round up to the nearest quart. For example, if pool calculator says add 40 oz of 8% bleach to get to 7FC, I add 64oz (2 quarts).

Also, I'm trying to figure out my ideal cya level that will keep CyA low but still minimize chlorine loss during hot AZ summer. As I mentioned above, I added conditioner over the weekend that should have my cya at 35. I'm holding off on adding more until this weekend so I can do a more accurate CyA test that confirms I'm at or near 35.

Anyway, what is a reasonable amount of chlorine I should be losing in a day? My FC an hour after adding chlorine at 6:00 am yesterday was 6.8. That's a 2.3 loss in 24 hours, which I feel is pretty good but it was relatively mild temps for AZ yesterday. Also my pool is never fully in the sun right now. It gets most sun during morning and early afternoon. By the late afternoon, it is mostly shaded by a huge and messy ficus tree.

Lastly, I'm still thinking "what's the catch?" This method is so easy, I think I'm like most newbies and overthinking this because I couldn't imagine that pool care would be so easy. I was at Leslie's buying muriatic acid over the weekend. The guy in line in front of me was so frustrated with all the chemicals he was told he needed. I wanted to tell him there is another way, but I bit my lip to avoid an argument with the Leslie employee

cheers.

In AZ you will find a slightly higher CYA will work best. ~50. You are doing great though, you want to sneak up on it and not overshoot.

2.3 FC in 24 hours is normal, and on the good side of normal at that.

The "catch", it's the test kit. Some people freak out at a test kit with a bunch of bottles and powder and charts and balk at $70 when they can have their water tested for "free" at the pool store (But don't mind spending $$$/week on potions that usually do more harm than good.) Once you test the water for a couple of weeks on your own the "fog" goes away.

spinPHD, you've got it figured out! The TFP method of pool is just that–simple, effective and inexpensive! Mr. Bruce is correct. Here in AZ holding your CYA closer to the high end of the range is better (I run mine at 60 but my pool is in full sun all day) for chlorine loss.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.